How long before MLF starts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did everything right and now my red wine is in stainless vats. I added freeze dried cultures on Monday night. Was just curious how long before MLF kicks in and if I will be able to hear it? Thanks in advance, Anthony

Depends on many things..

Temerature
Volume of wine
Amount of SO2 currently in wine
Amount of culture that you start with.

I find that once the MLF has kicked off, It ia actually hard to tell. Most winemakers use paper chromatography test to tell. Of course, you can simply taste it to see if the wine is smoothing out.

Like JohnT said, there are many factors, especially temperature and S02 levels as well as acid levels. Some mlb need pH above 3.0 to work, so if you have a hybrid, it may be low. I think it is just too soon to notice it. Usually it takes a week to pick up in numbers enough to detect. Yes you can hear it. Take the airlock off and if you see tiny bubbles coming up the outside of the carboy, listen for rice krispys sound. If you see and hear the bubbles, it is working.

MLf is much harder to see or hear then a standard fermentation especially in a non see through tank. Another thing that will get it going faster is ActiML or something similiar which is a nutrient specifically designed for ML innoculations. Keep the temp up around 75*.

Thanks for info everyone, I have been making wine for about 5 years now and this is the 1st year we introduced MLF. I hope it goes well!

You will NOT hear MLF as there is tiny bubbles and does not look like the primary fermentation.
I'm guessing it has started already.

You should get a Chromatography test to test to see when it is done.

Tom I don't want to disagree with you, but unless you are hard of hearing, you can certainly hear an active ml fermentation. The tiny bubbles as they rise up sound like rice krispies popping and snapping- almost like a fizzy soda. Just get your ear down close. They form a ring around the top of the carboy. Of course yours might be a less active form of the bacteria, a bit like different yeasts have different properties of activity. SOme are active and foamy, others just a slight fizziness.

Yes I can see a ring of bubbles but I hear nothing thru the airlock. I am using Lalvin 31. I dont hear the airlock bubble like in primary or secondary. I was referring to an active fermentation compared to a MLF fermenting

You need to remove the bung to hear it Tom. Stick your ear right up to the opening and give it a listen. You should be able to hear it - I can and I am hard of hearing. The triple ripple or S type will bubble once every minute or two, not more often like an active regular ferment.

I finally noticed after 1 week that MLF has kicked in. I put my ear against the stainless tanks and it sounds like small popping noises. I check with the test strips and its half way there. Hopefully another week it will finish, add my sulfites and then rack into my barrel!

Latest posts

Back