How Can You Tell When a Dark Wine Has Cleared?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I have an amarone in its final stages (post SuperKleer), and I can see that it has dropped quite a bit of lees. However, when I shine a flashlight on it none passes through. Is this a characteristic of such a dark wine? If so, how will I know when it has fully cleared? Thanks.

I usually draw a little into a wine glass and hold it up to a light. I t shows a little better than a flashlight thru a carboy

I just let it bulk age a few months and rack it once or twice during and when there is no sediment falling on the bottom of the carboy i let it sit some more.

You are not going to get anything from a flashlight through an Amarone and it is a bit of a problem. I have a white (Chenin Blanc) and a red (Pinotage) that I stabilized at the same time. I'm using the white as a bellwether for the red. If the white is clear then the red ought to be also.

some time the simplest ways are the best,like wade said you should be able to see how much seperation there is when you racked the second time,you should not use any finding agents on reds they will strip out flavors,use your eyes and time,it will all come together you'll see

My Amarone was the same way. Draw a little out and hold it up to sunlight. It was clear as a bell!! And delicious!!
smiley36.gif

Darken the room and shine a flashlight through it at right angles to your view. If you don't see anything then it is clear. If you see a glow then it is not, as the glow you are seeing is the light reflected of solids still floating in the wine. For confirmation shine the light through the wine from the opposite side directly into your eyes. You should be able to see it then.

Thanks for the feedback. So far you cannot see even a glow from the flashlight on the opposite side. Amarone is one dark wine!

Latest posts

Back