Using a Laser for measuring wine clarity?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this same phenomenon today using my laser thermometer. A plum wine which I thought had cleared (it has been in bulk ~3 months) still shows a continuous beam through the carboy.

A shop bought bottle of white shows no suspensions meanwhile (expectedly).

Seems the plum wine requires considerably more time to clear, when in fact it appeared ready for bottling. A useful yardstick for sure. It emphasises to me that filtration to 1 or 2 micron is really the only sure way to remove all suspended solids

Just wondering, SG, are you like that in real life? It must make for interesting conversation at times.
OOPS! :slpShouldn't criticize, as I've often been pulled up on different things myself! 😇

No offence intended. Good job there's an ocean between us. 🇺🇸----🇬🇧

Just wondering, SG, are you like that in real life? It must make for interesting conversation at times.
OOPS! :slpShouldn't criticize, as I've often been pulled up on different things myself! 😇

No offence intended. Good job there's an ocean between us. 🇺🇸----🇬🇧
Sorry SG. Hope my reply hasn't had the effect of affecting your language.

Last edited:
I found this same phenomenon today using my laser thermometer. A plum wine which I thought had cleared (it has been in bulk ~3 months) still shows a continuous beam through the carboy.

A shop bought bottle of white shows no suspensions meanwhile (expectedly).

Seems the plum wine requires considerably more time to clear, when in fact it appeared ready for bottling. A useful yardstick for sure. It emphasises to me that filtration to 1 or 2 micron is really the only sure way to remove all suspended solids
Picture tax of this:
~4 months in bulk (plum wine)
Looks pretty clear until a laser is shone through it.

How clear is clear enough?

Attachments

• C43641F1-037E-41F2-AE2A-341BD1BDF182.jpeg
    C43641F1-037E-41F2-AE2A-341BD1BDF182.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 9E216FAB-0856-4F1E-8C32-7A19DCD93F14.jpeg
    9E216FAB-0856-4F1E-8C32-7A19DCD93F14.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
How clear is clear enough?
A laser is not going to indicate if a wine is clear as "clear" is defined for wine. With wine, "clear" means there are no particles visible to the human eye and it's not dropping sediment, e.g., all particles are firmly in suspension.

Darker wines have more particles and at least some of them are some type of pigment. The particles in light wines may not be highlighted by a laser, while particles in a darker wine are. This doesn't mean that a wine is not clear as "clear" is defined for wine -- it means a laser is the wrong tool for the job.

A laser is not going to indicate if a wine is clear as "clear" is defined for wine. With wine, "clear" means there are no particles visible to the human eye and it's not dropping sediment, e.g., all particles are firmly in suspension.

Darker wines have more particles and at least some of them are some type of pigment. The particles in light wines may not be highlighted by a laser, while particles in a darker wine are. This doesn't mean that a wine is not clear as "clear" is defined for wine -- it means a laser is the wrong tool for the job.
Thank you for your comment. I was planning to go down this path and would probably have ended in frustration. Happy New Year Bryan!

Darker wines have more particles and at least some of them are some type of pigment.
I do find the laser thermometer useful for tracking the clearing process but I don’t think it can be used as a clear/not clear indicator. On some of the dark red wines the beam never emerges from the carboy even when the wine is clear.

Back