how and when to use super kleer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soflavino

Reaction score
I bought some super kleer today and i was wondering when i should add to my fermentation... also how would I add and finally how long should i leave it in before racking.... i was thinking by the end but i dont want to risk getting oxygen in my batch and spoiling everything if my CO2 were to wear off. And also its fresh fruits not from concentrate.. ive got 6gallons of what boatboy recommended me calling it papangonana hehhe :) its papaya mango and banana lol

You use it LAST. After fermentation is done. Put the small side in. Stir. Wait 1 to 24 hers. Warm 2 oz water in cup, mix the large side into it and stir. Stir into wine and wait 48 hrs to 2 weeks

I find that if you wait at least 3 days, then rack off to a clean carboy and wait. It will drop more. If it drops a lot then wait 2 weeks and rack off again. If it drops a little then watch it for a few days and rack into a clean carboy.

What you are looking for is no sediment on the bottom of the carboy for about a week before bottling.

Now once clear you can age in the carboy, but I bottle and age in the bottle.

Thank you but one question how do I do that without risking to spoil with oxygen

You should siphon when you rack not pour and the tube in the receiving carboy should be at the bottom so the carboy is filled from the bottom and the wine is not splashed along the sides or dropped to the bottom. As further insurance you should sparge the receiving container and the emptying one with nitrogen or argon as you siphon.
Malvina

Like when you open after fermentation and add te super kleer.. doesnt the CO2 leave if you stir?? I just do want it oxidizing and spoiling
Or does the super kleer prevent it from doing so

Like when you open after fermentation and add te super kleer.. doesnt the CO2 leave if you stir?? I just dont want it oxidizing and spoiling
Or does the super kleer prevent it from doing so

If your fermentation is over aren't you going to use SO2 to protect your wine from oxidation?
Malvina

Ooo ok thank you both very much! I now just need some nitrogen or argon grr

Not sure why.

I rack into a clean carboy, then add the 1st stage super kleer, wait allotted time, add the second half.

I always replace the air lock so its only open a few min.

Then after its cleared, I rack into a clean carboy again replacing the air lock asap.

Never used any gas or anything like that.

Your wine will not suffer no longer than it will be exposed.

Oh ok thank you dralarms, i just dont want this whole thing to go to waste i used the last of my mangos for the season i guess your right ill do that then.. would the yeast be affected in any way??

Not sure why.

I rack into a clean carboy, then add the 1st stage super kleer, wait allotted time, add the second half.

I always replace the air lock so its only open a few min.

Then after its cleared, I rack into a clean carboy again replacing the air lock asap.

Never used any gas or anything like that.

Your wine will not suffer no longer than it will be exposed.

The process of racking causes the introduction of O2 which can oxidize and brown a wine. Using gas during the process when racking delicate wines prevents this browning condition. It is an option and insurance, not a must if you rack very carefully. But racking with SO2 in the wine in not an option once fermentation is over. In this case fermentation should be over before using Super Kleer so K Meta should be in the wine before any racking takes place.
Malvina

Oh ok thank you dralarms, i just dont want this whole thing to go to waste i used the last of my mangos for the season i guess your right ill do that then.. would the yeast be affected in any way??

The fermentation should be over before fining. The yeast are dead. No need to worry about that.
Malvina

I just posted in another thread, but I'll post here as well. Since I started using a vacuum pump for racking, I haven't had to use any fining agents in my wine. Ends up beautifully clear.

I just posted in another thread, but I'll post here as well. Since I started using a vacuum pump for racking, I haven't had to use any fining agents in my wine. Ends up beautifully clear.
I am not sure I understand your correlation between a Vacuum Pump and Fining.
Wine which has a haze is not due to poor racking methods necessarily.
Malvina

I would guess the wine is falling clear on its own with all CO2 removed. Kit wine just doesn't release CO2 as easily as wine made from fresh grapes/fruit. If it doesn't get fully degassed it tends to clear very slooooowly or not at all.

I would guess the wine is falling clear on its own with all CO2 removed. Kit wine just doesn't release CO2 as easily as wine made from fresh grapes/fruit. If it doesn't get fully degassed it tends to clear very slooooowly or not at all.
Oh Ok I guess I was responding to the use of finings which is a totally separate issue in terms of clearing wine with haze.
Malvina

M/S, I found that every time I rack the wine, I'm also degassing at the same time. Like Mike said, it removes the CO2, thus making the clearing much quicker. Before vacuuming, I know that part of the problem was moving the carboy to enable a gravity feed to the next carboy, so with the vacuum, there's absolutely no disturbing the sediment on the bottom. No matter how easy I was with the moving, it always seemed to pull some of the sediment to the new.

I also made a 1/2" PVC racking tube with a couple of holes drilled near the bottom on the sides, and a cork in the bottom, so I don't have to worry about the suction tube getting too close to the sediment.

Back