Homewinery vs Walker's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffreds

Reaction score
I am currently making some wine from the concentrate that homewinery(www.homewinery.com/) sells and I recently heard of Walker's(http://www.walkersfruitbasket.com/) and thought I might give them a try as well. One sells concentrate and the other sells "Hot packs" of what I am guessing is pure juice? I hear great things about both of these places and was curious as to what the advantages and disadvantages are between these two options. What are your personal opinions and experiences with these two?

differences

I have bought from both and the verdict is still out on the concentrate will make a decision on the final outcome next week, as for walkers their outstand in the products taste and format, hands down to me, there the best fresh juice product on the market for their type, the down side is the shipping if you can get around that or it doesn't bother you the their is no contest..but that's just my oppion...........:try

I buy from both and I really can't compare the two. It would depend on what you are looking at to buy. Home winery's fruit concentrates are very good and I have bought Catawba and Niagara from both and Walker's is better.

Homewinery's shipping is extremely reasonable. I don't know about shipping from Walkers, I live 3 hours from there, so we just drive there.

What are you thinking of buying?

Too far for me to drive just too pick up. It looks like walkers would cost a bit more but if it is really worth it then I might bite. That's what I am trying to measure with this thread. So far I have only made wine from concentrate... And my first batch from apple juice*shudders*

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

You will never get the same wine from any of these places like you would if you pressed it yourself or if you bought freshly pressed juice in the fall from a winery. With that said walkers sells juice all over the country to wineries. I have never made a bad wine from them. But still not the same.
Same goes with juice pails. I know a winery that makes most of their wine from them. I think walkers is a step up from the seasonal pails that are available, but they do make good wine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wine Making mobile app

The best part of walkers and seasonal pails that I didn't mention is the large variety of juice that they have that you other wise wouldn't be able to get. I have never bought from the concentrate place so I can't comment but Julie talks good about them also. Walkers is close to me so I have bought a lot from them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wine Making mobile app

Dan,

Love the new avatar.

I've bought a bunch of concentrates from homewinery.com. they are good. Only had a couple of minor issues. The first, their pear is a little light (for me), second, I just finished a muscat and I'm not sure I like it.

I've bought a "hotpack" Niagara from Walkers and it came out great.
I tweaked it at the end by adding a couple cans of Welches White Grape juice concentrate which really boosted the flavor.
I over sulfited just before bottling, but it aged well.
I'm saving the last bottle for my wife's Birthday in May...she loves this stuff.

I've never purchased from Walkers but I did inquire about shipping once. I was told to ship to Pittsburgh from Walkers it would be $28.00 per pail. A bit steep when you consider the pails are only twice that but again it's a heavy item. Like Julie, I'm only a 3+ hour drive and I'm in Northeast PA often enough.

I did purchase from Homewinery. I bought the Black Berry and the Blueberry. I made both a 5 gallon batch at they suggest. I think thye are good at 8 months but could use some more flavor. If I were to do it again I would purchase 2 concentrates to make a 5 gallon batch or make the 5 gallon batch with 1 then use the other as a f-pac. Of course, thats only my take on the 2 I purchased.

Hmm. Would putting two half gallons in one batch throw the wine out of balance though? Would I still use the acid blend? I have no way of measuring PH or acid.

Hmm. Would putting two half gallons in one batch throw the wine out of balance though? Would I still use the acid blend? I have no way of measuring PH or acid.

You should always test for acid/ph and adjust accordingly. And Homewinery sells concentrates in pints as well. You could use this as an f-fac

Latest posts

Back