Home made Degassing tool

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only use the "store bought" pistol drill stirrer for stabilizing and initially degassing. But to do a thorough job with this tool you'd be there for days! What I use is a AC system vacuum pump connected to the "wine Miner" demijohn cap. Takes about an hour or so and the wine is completely degassed! 20181002_172415.jpg No fuss ….no muss!

I only use the "store bought" pistol drill stirrer for stabilizing and initially degassing. But to do a thorough job with this tool you'd be there for days! What I use is a AC system vacuum pump connected to the "wine Miner" demijohn cap. Takes about an hour or so and the wine is completely degassed! View attachment 51362 No fuss ….no muss!

Amen brother, vacuum degassing is the only way to go if you’re not bulk aging before bottling.

Amen brother, vacuum degassing is the only way to go if you’re not bulk aging before bottling.

The all in one wine pump is worth every penny for this alone. However, I know it just isn’t possible for everyone. The cheaper option is to buy a $20 brake bleed tool at Walmart. The tube size works perfectly with carboy stoppers. Just pump it every hour or so as the vacuum pressure goes back down until no more bubbles.

The all in one wine pump is worth every penny for this alone. However, I know it just isn’t possible for everyone. The cheaper option is to buy a $20 brake bleed tool at Walmart. The tube size works perfectly with carboy stoppers. Just pump it every hour or so as the vacuum pressure goes back down until no more bubbles.

Don’t have a AIO, bought a $99 HVAC vacuum pump before I knew about them, pulls a deeper vacuum, degas a carboy in a few minutes. Started with the vacuvin on my first batch, that was a hassle. By the second batch, had the hand pump brake bleeder, still lots of work pumping. Vac pump was the ticket, hands down.

I'll second the paint stirrer. Bought a little $2 one at wallmart with a plastic spiral thingy on the end and it works great. I tried the bent plastic coathanger thing with reasonable success but having a straight metal shaft is helpful as is the spiral so you can run it in reverse(pushing liquid up) to help counter the natural vortex. Yea you have to do it in a bucket, but I've never understood how you could effectively stir-degas in a carboy and not end up with a gallon or two on the floor. At least not without 2 carboys and more trouble than using a bucket

I've been using a degasser that has a metal shaft covered with plastic and the two plastic fingers with holes in them that fold up or down for about the last 8 years and it works great I don't remember what I paid for it but I thing about $10.00. One thing I do is spin it in forward and then switch it to reverse it works really well for degassing. I also use a 6 gal carboy which gives it plenty of room to foam up I pause until the bubbles fade away then start again. Although the fun of experimenting can't be over looked, and you might come up with something you can get a patent on.

I’m surprised that nobody mentions using a vacuum pump to “de-gass”. It’s affordable and does a great job!

Back