Hi Acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I make several gallons of cab sauv from bulk imported concentrate every year. For the past several years acid has been high and even using potassium bicarbonate I could not bring it within range. I do not have the capabilities to keep it at a cold level. Any other ideas?

You can also try calcium carbonate (chalk powder), though it may give some slight (I emphasize, slight) earthy aftertaste if added in excess, but you can play with it. I would imagine, it should be a problem with Cabernet Sauvignon. I personally find that it works well with some other acidic wines (I used it with success on cranberry wine). Also, by how much did you dilute the concentrate? I know it is the last thing you would want to do, but see if you can dilute a bit further.

try some bench trials using sugar syrup. the syrup is made using two cups sugar to one cup water. dissolve in blender. set up samples each about 100ml. add 1/4 tsp sugar to first , two 1/4 tsp to second etc adding an additional 1/4 tsp to each sample. do taste test. the sugar syrup will balance the acidity it will not sweeten the wine. once wine sample is selected make a small batch about 500ml let it set a week or two and taste again to see if it still meets you desire. make sure to add sorbate to sample. calculate desired amount for larger batch add sorbate.

Personally I would stick with the bicarb, but I know some that have added water to thin the acid and then add sugar syrup to hoist up the brix. Of course, this only works as a step prior to fermentation.

Back