Here from HBT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

apple-ganger
Reaction score
I've been on HBT for quite some time now, and decided to branch out a bit...as beer guys are a it snobbish at times....go figure. I always thought wine people were the hoity toity types until I MISTAKENLY posted a wine question in the beer forum. And to top that off...there is a new winery just a few miles from where I live. I stopped in on afternoon after loading an engine and transmission into my pickup. I was covered in stinky grease and oil, dressed in my raggedy "work" clothes etc...but from the moment I stepped in they were all smiles and all about the tasting and sharing their experiences with winemaking and their future plans. HBT is a GREAT forum and will not be leaving it, just figured I'd stop in here as well.

Hi T Baggins. Welcome. It is quite fascinating to me how different the approach of brewers is to wine making from the way that wine makers approach the same activity. Not just in the different claims about good or best practice but also in the different ways that wine makers and brewers approach fermenting. Many (most?) brewers active on HBT seem to me to have adopted an engineering approach to fermenting (brewing) where equipment is king and process and technique have largely been replaced by hardware. But perhaps that is simply the result of the length of time that a brewer needs to brew a batch compared to a wine maker. Last night, for example, I was able to start four different batches of cyser (orange blossom, acacia, sourwood and fall wildflower) in about an hour and a half - in my kitchen. But be that as it may, the folk on this forum are particularly warm and friendly...and helpful.

welcome T you won't find any snobs on this site we're all here to learn and teach what we've been taught. We're all learning at different levels ..yes but still learning.:b

The first step in converting a beer brewer over to wine and meads is to convince them not to boil everything, that a little tiny spoonful of sulfites does all that work for them. They already practice much more stringent sanitization than most of us since beer is very easily contaminated. Sometimes you have to show them which side of the hydrometer goes in first but thats an understandable mistake:) WVMJ

Back