Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaluba

Reaction score
Hello all. I hope everyone enjoyed the turkey and whatever wine was being tested. I have not started my wine yet because of space. I dont have a cellar. My shed shed doesnt seem to keep a consistent temp either. So my questions are. Can i do fermentation in my bed room closet or will the smell be over powering? Next question can i start a one gallon batch in a 7.5 gal. primary? Next Will a six gal. batch smell be to much in my house?

Don't be afraid to start making the wine in the house. The one gallon will work in the larger primary bucket, but you can get a 2 gallon plastic primary many places. If you want to start it in the big one it won't be there only about a week anyways so it will be fine. As far as making it in the closet, no problem, but do it in a spare bedroom if you have one. Your clothes will smell like a wino is visiting in the closet you make it in. You could also make it in a spare bathroom if you have one- lots of folks use that. That way if you spill something it doesn't make a big mess. Have fun!

I do mine right on my kitchen counter. I fine the odor to be very minimal, and what little there is very pleasing to me....besides, I like to watch the airlock bubble.

Hey Thanx sounds goods i just realized my hall closet can be made available in a sec. I love this forum . I think im going to the store tonight. Weeeeeee.

People make wine all over the place! The smell really is minimal and hardly noticable. Closets, spare rooms, corners, right in the middle of everything will work just fine. Now, go shopping!

Hmmm. A few thoughts on cellaring.

I have a crawl space beneath my house. I dug out an area about 10 by 10, 3 feet deap and now have just enough room to walk upright though I have to creep into it through the crawl space door. I then built some short 2x4 walls, insulatedand sheethed them in crete board and installed a small A/C unit I bought from Home Depot for about $80. That's supposed tokeep a regular 55 degree temp year round and will store all the bottles I want to make at the moment.
As far as aroma... A little sweet goes a long way after day 10. Bear that in mind when you decide where to put that fermenting mash.

<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip1 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip2 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip3 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip4 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip5 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip6 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip7 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip8 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip9 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip10 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip10 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip10 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();> I agree. I love the smell of the fermenting process. I find it as a sort of a reward for doing everything I needed to do correctly.

Latest posts

Back