WineXpert Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello

I'm a beginner to the whole winemaking scene, so I have a question which
may seem dumb but its been bugging me
smiley5.gif
. I just got done with primary
fermentation and according to the instructions and what I have read, I
was expecting there would be allot of lees left behind? When I was
racking I didn't see much of any sediment, only the Oak chips I put in
and a bit murky wine
smiley3.gif
. I followed the directions impeccably since this
was my first kit and i didn't want to screw anything up but i have a
feeling that I did something wrong? I racked on day 5 of fermentation,
the SG reading was 1.9 and I took the readings twice in a 2 hour time
period. basically what was left in the primary fermenter was maybe a
thin layer of oak chips and murky wine (although when I tipped it a
could see little sediments let behind). Did I do something wrong? The
temp of the wine during fermentation was high - 76-78F. Did that stop
the fermentation? My wine is now in a carboy and I can see bubbles
coming up the sides and I see my airlock still bubbling and I can hear
fizzing still in the carboy. Is this normal? Oh yeah I have the WE french cabernet sauvignon wine kit. Sorry if I seem really
noobish but I am i bit worried since this is my first time.
smiley2.gif

Thanks,
Jeff L.

What was the SG when you racked and did you stir it up as the directions most likely say to stir it up as W.E kits usually use a clarifier that requires a lot of sediment to work properl so it sounds like you did it right. You basically should have transferred everything but the oak over and if some oak made it over you'll be fine. 1.090 was most likely what you meant when you posted your SG and specify next time that it is your SSG (Starting Specific Gravity). This way your question will be answered without another question. Did you buy the equipment and kit from George? He backs all his stuff up 100%.

The wine kits do not produce as much sediment as you would expect. It sounds fine to me except your S.G. reading. What was the S.G. when you racked the wine?

Oh sorry noticed my error in SG.
smiley9.gif
I just checked my log, when I started the SSG was 1.08, and before I racked the SG 1.009 not 1.9..hehe. I did not stir it up yet, the directions say to let it sit in the carboy for 10 additional days and then stir in the stab. and clearifiers. I guess then everything is alright then. Thanks Wade and George. Ill update if anything goes wrong (hope not)
smiley17.gif

I had this same expirence, I just racked two days ago and there was very little lees in the primary. Just murky water at the bottom and thats about it. In my carboy now, after about 2 days there is about half inch to an inch of lees on the bottom of the carboy. Maybe some more leeswill settle out of your wine after a few days.

Latest posts

Back