Help with Dragons blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_G

Junior
Reaction score
I just started a 3 gal batch of dragons blood as per the recipe from dangerous dave. The only way I varied from it was that I added 3 campden tabs before fermentation like every other batch I've made instead of after. This was more of an oversight than anything else. I added EC-1118 and after 2 days, there was no fermentation happening. I added K1V-1116 and same results. I'm at a loss. Please help!! :m

Are you stirring your must? You probably didn't need to add the campden and it may effecting the start of fermentation but stir it real good a couple of times a day and it should start within the next few days.

Dragon's Blood: isn't that a version of skeeter pee? What may be happening is that the must (the juice) may be too acidic for the yeast and if you pitch dry yeast onto the must the acidity may in fact prevent the cells from properly rehydrating. I have not really looked at Dave's recipe but perhaps a better approach is to create a yeast starter (or as with SP to make use of the slurry from an active batch of wine)...

Did you hydrate the yeast before pitching, or just dump the packet in? I have made many different versions of DB and never had EC-1118 take more than 1 1/2 days to start.
Also, what is the temp. you are trying to ferment in? Is it an overly cold area/room?

Admittedly Julie I haven't been stirring as religiously as I should be, but when I have been it's been with a wire whisk and vigorously. If I'm not mistaken, stirring should create free radicals from the dissolved O2 and break down preservatives, or am I way off?

I did rehydrate the yeast the first time I pitched it in warm water for about 15 mins. The second time was added in dry as I was on my way to work. It's in the kitchen which is usually between 60-65 F depending on the day, so I can't imagine temp being a huge issue, especially with the EC 1118. I've never had it take longer than a day to start fermenting vigorously so this is rather frustrating.

I have five successful DB batches under my belt and all but the first was started by pitching the yeast dry. I did not however use k-meta until stabilization. Also, kept the must/wine around 75F during fermentation.

So maybe a combination of the tablets and a low (Dave's instructions say 68-80F range) must temperature? My basement is around 60F this time of the year so I must use a heater belt or do my fermentation up stairs in the kitchen.

Not sure then as you are correct, EC-1118 usually has no issues.
If the temp. is closer to 60 the majority of the time, that could be a possibility as EC-1118's range is 59-86(you may already know that).
Also, just FYI, I stir mine twice daily, once in morning and once at night.

My first batch of SkeeterPee had the same issues with 1118. I had to put the primary on the back porch in 100 F temps to warm it up enough to start the fermentation. I think the acid level was too high following the original recipe so it needed warmer temps to get started. If it was my DB, I would warm it to maybe 75-80 F for a day or 2 to get things started then bring it back down. I'm not sure about the science of it but I'm pretty sure the high acid may hinder the start of fermentation.

I just started a 3 gal batch of dragons blood as per the recipe from dangerous dave. The only way I varied from it was that I added 3 campden tabs before fermentation like every other batch I've made instead of after. This was more of an oversight than anything else. I added EC-1118 and after 2 days, there was no fermentation happening. I added K1V-1116 and same results. I'm at a loss. Please help!! :m

Steve G, if the issue is the kmeta, then you can try to resolve by splash racking, then repitch. I believe three tablets would be the dose I would normally give a six gallon batch after fermentation, so that could be it.

If not, check the temperature of the must. It should be within the range your yeast will tolerate.

If that doesn't work, post a response and let the forum know.

Heather

Though I've never had a problem starting a fermentation, I've started adding the lemon juice after fermentation has really started rolling, usually day two or three. I think that there's little chance the sodium benzoate stands a chance against an active yeast colony. Dale.

After stirring the must 2x a day for 2 days, I got home yesterday and saw that fermentation had begun. I've maintained the stirring so far even though I'm not sure of the purpose for that. Is it necessary for all wines or just certain ones? Plus, I knew that pH levels will affect enzyme activity, but it has an effect on yeast as well? Is there an ideal range to shoot for?

Latest posts

Back