HELP! Super Tuscan- Missing something...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForzaItalia

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am helping my father fix his Super Tuscan blend he made last year and was hoping to get some advise. He is a very old school Italian (straight off the boat) who believes in notion that wine makes itself. (Funny right??). Anyway, last October he crushed his San Giovese/Merlot/Cab Sav grapes and let them co-ferment. He did not take any Ph/Acid or sugar reading and just pressed after a week or so....

Fast forward a year/ a couple of rackings later / and we are left with what I feel is a very thin/flat/dry wine. The color is very light and really does not have any fruity tones from it...just kinda blah.

Is there anything I can add to the wine to help give it some pizzazz? Will adding some oak chips give it some flavor that its lacking? Should I try to back sweeten it? Add some juice concentrate? Some tartaric acid?

Any advise is much appreciated! Also please be reassured that I am not following his steps in my first attempt of wine making this year :) I am 100% by the book!

Thanks!

Ilario

Hi All,

I am helping my father fix his Super Tuscan blend he made last year and was hoping to get some advise. He is a very old school Italian (straight off the boat) who believes in notion that wine makes itself. (Funny right??). Anyway, last October he crushed his San Giovese/Merlot/Cab Sav grapes and let them co-ferment. He did not take any Ph/Acid or sugar reading and just pressed after a week or so....

Fast forward a year/ a couple of rackings later / and we are left with what I feel is a very thin/flat/dry wine. The color is very light and really does not have any fruity tones from it...just kinda blah.

Is there anything I can add to the wine to help give it some pizzazz? Will adding some oak chips give it some flavor that its lacking? Should I try to back sweeten it? Add some juice concentrate? Some tartaric acid?

Any advise is much appreciated! Also please be reassured that I am not following his steps in my first attempt of wine making this year :) I am 100% by the book!

Thanks!

Ilario

Funny... My family is the same way... I would get some numbers on it when he is not looking! Sounds like the TA is low. Also get some Oak Tannin to add to it as well.

Good Luck

Sam

Thanks Sam. Did some digging on post fermentation additions of tannin and came up with the below three options:

TANNIN RICHE
TANNIN RICHE EXTRA
TANNIN REFRESH

Sounds like Riche and Refresh have some French oak in it and Richer extra has American Oak.

Have any of you tried these post fermentation? Any recommendations between the 3? Is French or American Oak better for Super Tuscan's?

Thanks,

Ilario

Ilario,
Tannin Riche is my favorite, a gram or two in a 5-6 gallon batch is more than plenty.

Yes... Me too ... Tannin Rich Extra is what I use as well... Specially designed for fine tuning...

Thanks for the advise guys. I stole a carboy from my father last night and am going to run PH/Acid tests tonight :)

I also purchased the below from Midwest:

Tannin Complex
Tannin Estate
Tannin Riche
Tannin Riche Extra

Am going to mess around with some bench trials and see how they come out. Since such a small amount is required, do you guys have any suggestions on volumes for bench trials? Also, Scotts lab says Tannin Riche extra can be blending with some Estate or Complex. Anyone ever try this?

Thanks again,

Ilario

Not sure but I think bench trials may be difficult since it takes a few weeks to make its mark.....

I guess I can try Riche in one carboy and Riche Extra in another. I am new to this and really don't know the difference between American Oak and French Oak. What is typically used on Super Tuscan's?

Latest posts

Back