SP done fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monnster

Junior
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,
I know there are many variables to knowing if my SP is done fermenting. However, I wanted to check and see from your experience of you think mine may be. I want to back sweeten a little because the alcohol is strong. I started at a specific gravity of 1.130 and it is down to 1.016 (close to 15.5%). My S type airlock is running at a rate of one bubble every 3- 3 1/4 minutes. I am a little hesitant to put a little extra sugar in it for fear of restarting fermentation. I have a party in a couple weeks and only have the weekends to filter and bottle. What is your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jason

Good afternoon everyone,
I know there are many variables to knowing if my SP is done fermenting. However, I wanted to check and see from your experience of you think mine may be. I want to back sweeten a little because the alcohol is strong. I started at a specific gravity of 1.130 and it is down to 1.016 (close to 15.5%). My S type airlock is running at a rate of one bubble every 3- 3 1/4 minutes. I am a little hesitant to put a little extra sugar in it for fear of restarting fermentation. I have a party in a couple weeks and only have the weekends to filter and bottle. What is your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jason

That’s a really high starting SG. It’s possible your yeast couldn’t take it. Bubbling in your airlock means nothing, at least don’t rely on it. You didn’t say how long the wine has been going or what yeast you used. Is the yeast capable of fermenting the starting SG?

In any event, don’t add more sugar now. You should continue to watch the SG until it doesn’t change anymore, then decide about the sweetness.

That’s a really high starting SG. It’s possible your yeast couldn’t take it. Bubbling in your airlock means nothing, at least don’t rely on it. You didn’t say how long the wine has been going or what yeast you used. Is the yeast capable of fermenting the starting SG?

In any event, don’t add more sugar now. You should continue to watch the SG until it doesn’t change anymore, then decide about the sweetness.
Good afternoon Bob, sorry I left those details out. I started the SP on 3/30 primary ended on 4/12 and on same day racked into carboy. Took specific gravity every week to make sure it dropped. Filter and racked last weekend. I was using Lalvin EC1118.

Good afternoon Bob, sorry I left those details out. I started the SP on 3/30 primary ended on 4/12 and on same day racked into carboy. Took specific gravity every week to make sure it dropped. Filter and racked last weekend. I was using Lalvin EC1118.

That’s a powerhouse yeast so my guess is the wine isn’t finished fermenting yet. Two weeks to ferment and still not finish seems odd for EC1118, maybe the temperature is on the low side. I would give it time.

I agree with Bob, it's likely the yeast is not finished.

However, while EC-1118 is rated for 18%, that's under laboratory conditions, and each batch of yeast may vary.

What filter did you use? If you used a sterile or near-sterile filter, you may have removed all or most of the yeast. Filtering before the wine is done fermenting or fully clear is not a good idea. Depending on clarity, it's more likely to clog the filter.

Is the SG dropping?

I agree with Bob, it's likely the yeast is not finished.

However, while EC-1118 is rated for 18%, that's under laboratory conditions, and each batch of yeast may vary.

What filter did you use? If you used a sterile or near-sterile filter, you may have removed all or most of the yeast. Filtering before the wine is done fermenting or fully clear is not a good idea. Depending on clarity, it's more likely to clog the filter.

Is the SG dropping?
Just saw this response. I did not use a sterile filter for this filtration. The SG has not dropped for 9 days and has stayed consistent at 1.014. I am still trying to find the best filtration to get everything out.

A couple of thoughts:
1. If it's already a little strong, don't restart the ferment. Just finish it a little sweet.
2. Filtering probably isn't necessary if you use a Kieselsol and Chitosan fining agent like Super-Kleer. To get it ready in time for your party, mix in a dose of potassium sorbate today, then Super-Kleer tomorrow. A week later rack and, if necessary, back sweeten to almost sweet enough, but not quite. It will get sweeter in time. Bottle it the day before your party, or whenever.

A couple of thoughts:
1. If it's already a little strong, don't restart the ferment. Just finish it a little sweet.
2. Filtering probably isn't necessary if you use a Kieselsol and Chitosan fining agent like Super-Kleer. To get it ready in time for your party, mix in a dose of potassium sorbate today, then Super-Kleer tomorrow. A week later rack and, if necessary, back sweeten to almost sweet enough, but not quite. It will get sweeter in time. Bottle it the day before your party, or whenever.
Good afternoon, thank you for this information. Fermentation seems to be completely finished. I will likely add the sorbate and then I have a LD Carlson sparkloid that will hopefully help. Plan to rack and bottle soon.

Latest posts

Back