help me please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milwood

Reaction score
I have recently tried to start a Niagara wine using white grape juice from the store. However, instead of the frozen kind I used the bottled kind not realizing that the bottled grape juice contains preservatives, specifically Potassium Metabisulfite. Instead of making a yeast starter I just pitched the yeast after adjusting the starting SG to 1.095 and waiting for 12 hours. Alas, nothing is happening after 3 days of waiting for fermentation to begin. Is this a lost cause? Is there anything I can do at this point to get the fermentation going? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

First thing you can try is to stir it vigorously for a few minutes a few times a day. Move it to a location where the temperature will be about 75-77 degrees. What kind of yeast did you use? Is this a 1 gallon batch? If it doesn't start soon you could try to make a yeast starter. If none of these work, at least you gave it every effort you could!. If it doesn't go, next time use frozen concentrate without added preservatives.

Good luck, hope it starts for you soon!

WOW!!!! THANK YOU...for posting this topic....I am thinking aboutmaking a Raspberry/Niagara grape wine and I had completely forgot about the preservatives in the 64oz bottles of Old Orchard Juice....

Now, I just have to remember that when I start that wine...
*NOTE TO SELF...***Do not add Campden tablets to the Niagara juice part of the must.

Should I just add a couple Campden tablets to the Raspberry Juice part of the must????
smiley25.gif

I plan on using 3 1/2 gallons of Niagara Juice and then running 15# of Raspberries through the steam juicer...expect to get about 2 gallons of Raspberry Juice.......Planning a 6 gallon batch.

Would there be enough Potassium Metabisulfite in the Store bought juice to sanitize the whole batch???
smiley25.gif

I made a wine last year I called it Blanc de Blanc....I wanted to make it with all grape juice and no sugar...
I used:
9 64oz bottles of Old Orchard Niagara
612 oz cans Frozen Niagara
2 500 mil bottles of WinExpert White Grape Concentrate

I didn't use any Campden tablets and that batch fermented well. I was a nice wine, but a little too sweet for us.

Just wondering about entering my own fruit into the must with all it's natural wild yeasts [if any]

Edited by: Northern Winos

I wouldn't think you would need any since there is some in the juice already and the steamed raspberries would be sterile already after being steamed(or at least the wild yeasts would have been killed).

While this subject is up. I bought some apple cider. The label reads 100% apple juice. After a closer look, in the small print it reads 100% apple juice, 0.01% Sodium Benzoate. Can I make wine with this or should I just drink it as apple cider?
smiley5.gif
Edited by: swillologist

I think you could still ferment it swill. I would definately make a good starter though to begin with. Feed the starter a bit of sugar after it gets going then pitch it to the cider.

Thanks for the quick reply Appleman. It's a 3 gal. batch and I used Lavlin 71B-1122. I will try the stirring and if that doesn't work I can try to use another yeast starter. If I do that should I use the same strain of yeast?

Stir it vigorously to get more oxygen in it and drive out some of the preservatives. If you have some yeast nutrients, add some of that too(couple teaspoons will help). Do this a few times a day and it should start. If you need more yeast, that is still a good choice, or EC-1118, making a starter and multiplying the must additions until going strong.

Thanks waldo and appleman. I will do the stirring and the yeast starter. I think I will start a gallon and if it goes. Thenadd the other 5 gallon. The recipe I have adds 1 teaspoon of nutrient per gallon. I have never made a starter before. I will have to look at the tutorials to see how it is done again. The recipe calls for champagne yeast. I have Red Star Pasteur Champagne and 1118, Which one would be the best to use? It alsocalls for Campden tablets. ShouldI hold off on those? Thanks again. Edited by: swillologist

I went with the Champagne yeast. The starter is going good this morning.

100_1324.jpg

I have to get the apple cider warmed up some. Mixeverything up for a gallon and thenI am going to add a small amount to the starter. Is that the right way to do it?

It finally started fermenting after adding more yeast nutrient and stirring a few times each day. It took about 7 days to start primary fermantation. I was actually about ready to throw it out and I saw that it had started.I just racked into the secondary last night. Hopefully it turns out ok. So...a big thank you to all of you who have helped me out with this one. I really appreciate it.

smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif
Great !!
Patience and Perserveance pay nice benifitsEdited by: Waldo

Latest posts

Back