WineXpert Help choosing first kit please...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideways2

Reaction score
So...yes...virgin LOL!!!

I am looking to buy my first kit this afternoon...it'll be a red...

I like a big bold flavorful red but not too much oak!!! I am a huge Scotch lover (I'll reserve the oak for that...I know big and bold :)) but I really do enjoy a good wine!!!

Most of the one's that I usually buy are from Chile or France but I am not opposed to Italian...if my memory serves me right, I used to like them too!!! I enjoy a good Pinot as well...

So with that, Winexpect and Cru kits are here and for my first round I would want to do a better kit...6 week maybe...but I would like to be able to enjoy a few bottles right away while my second kit ages...see, already thinking ahead!!!!

Is that possible with a 6 week kit??? Should I start with a lesser one??

Suggestions????

Well...thanks and appreciated!!!!

Dave

So...apparently oak in wine is different from that of Scotch ROFL!!!!

Interesting!!!

Just because it says it will be ready in 6 weeks doesnt mean its ready to drink in 6 weeks. I hate the way they state that!!!!! Can you drink, yes!!! Will it taste anything like it should, NO!!! The bigger kits need a minimum of about 8 months to come around and even that is premature and can need up to 2 years to be at potential. Id probably go with a smaller kit like a RJS Grand Cru International. It has a grape skin pack in it which is a little more work but these smaller kits need it to give some body to it otherwise most of them are very thin. When thats done fermenting start the bigger kit and let that one age. The smaller kit will probably start coming around maybe at the 4-6 month time frame. The oak thats supplied in these kits wont make it too oaky, it may look like that with the amount given sometimes but I havent heard anyone say it was ever too much. Most people like me have to add more oak to our liking.

Last edited:
Exactly!!!!

I was thinking the same thing...I knew that aging would be necessary on the bigger kits...I was just going off the maker's websites!!! Some say you can drink right away...even on the 6 week kits!!!

So...Cru International...anything from Winexpert's??? Their Value series???

Anything that would be enjoyable right away over the summer months???

Thanks

I don't think you're going to find a "Big Red" that will be drinkable this summer. If you want an early drinker, you might want to get a "mist kit". They are drinkable almost immediately. However, they tend to be a little on the sweet side and light on the ABV. But you can boost the alcohol by adding simple sugar before fermentation. RJS makes severa Orchard Breezin' kits you might wnat to look at. Good Luck!

ROFL!!!!

Thanks for the reply!!!!

Can't do sweet so that's out...might have to just buy a few bottles over the summer then...was hoping to avoid that LOL!!!

Maybe the old guy down at the store will throw out some suggestions...he's been there as long as I can remember!!!

Thanks again!!!

Dave:

Will you be making this kit at home, or taking advantage of one of the Ferment-on-Premises services?

Steve

Hey Steve

At home...have all the fixings from a buddy of mine!!!

Why do you ask???

I'll be babysitting it LOL!!!

winexpert kit

Dave,
I recently bottled a Selection International Chilean Carmenere. It has been very good young. So good in fact, that I got another one, because this kit will not get to the ripe old age it deserves.:ib

Fantastic!!!

I've had off the shelf one's I've enjoyed!!!

Any Italian one's you've had??

Fantastic!!!

I've had off the shelf one's I've enjoyed!!!

Any Italian one's you've had??

Winexpert's Italian kits tend to want a lot of aging (according to their product sheets). I have made their limited edition Italian Brunello twice, and it is very good, but unfortunatley, not available. I only have patience enough to keep a couple of kits for more than a year, so my Brunello and Stag's Leap District Merlot are the two I'm trying to stay away from now.

My suggestions would be: for a longer term wine to try to get the WE Douro Tinto, if your store has any - it is an LE and usually preordered but some stores have extras; many tout the WE Luna Rossa as a good one that drinks fairly early, but I haven't made it. For a shorter term red, try the WE Trinity Red ( VR or World Vinyard, can't remember which) which seems to be a decent early drinker; the GCI Brunello is also good but may take longer to age for drinking than the Trinity. In general I find that blends drink a little earlier than varietals.

Ya...might have to reserve an Italian for the second round!!!

That Mezza Luna Red has had some great reviews an early drinker...maybe that'll be the first one for summer!!!

Well...went down to the local establishment... and came home with a Winexpert kit...World Vineyard Italian Sangiovese!!!

It was a toss-up...hard to choose when you want alot more than one ROFL!!!

Anyhoo, planning the second kit already...and the 3rd and 4th!!!

Already mixed it up!!!

Thanks again everyone...great help!!!

Cheers!!!

Thanks!!!

I'm eyeing up the Trinity Red and the NZ Pinot next!! But the Montepulciano or the Amarone might get in the way...those will be for next summer!!! I NEED MORE GEAR :) Wade E warned me!!!

I know there are some other makers of kits including the Cedar Classic that I want to try...and I know that I will try some Cru kits later on but the gent at the store with the Winexpert kits was so helpful, not pushy, didn't make fun of me cause I didn't know anything, that I am going to keep with him for a bit while I gain some experience...older fello that just enjoys making the wine and has been doing it for many of years!! Nice to have someone friendly to go to not just someone looking for a sale...and yes, there was a local store like that!!

He's not a Scotch drinker but I can't hold that against him ROFL!!! We do seem to share a common taste bud for wine though!!

Toodles!!

So...Cru International...anything from Winexpert's??? Their Value series???

Thanks

I would stay away from the W.E. value or Vintners Reserve lines, in my opinion they are VERY thin. Go for the Original, International, or Estate series. The Original Borolo style is a good early drinker in my opinion. The Estate Italian Borolo is excellent, but needs 12 months aging. Make them both, and drink the cheap stuff while you are aging the good stuff!

My suggestion is to stay away from Wine Expert all together. Too many people have complained their kits have KT or "Kit Taste" all too often.

Go with Cellar Craft Showcase or RJ Spagnols winery series.

My suggestion is to stay away from Wine Expert all together. Too many people have complained their kits have KT or "Kit Taste" all too often.

Go with Cellar Craft Showcase or RJ Spagnols winery series.

2010 Winemaker Magazine amateur winemakers competition:
RJ Spagnols 415 medals
Winexpert 244 medals including best of show, red (SI Australian Shiraz)
Cellarcraft 179 medals

Looks like good wine can be made from all kit manufacturers, but these are the top three. But the Cellarcraft kits like to drop a whack of sediment when the instructions are followed to the letter, so you'd be wise to stay away from them. Or perhaps it would be more polite not to bad mouth Winexpert on the Winexpert forum.

Looks like good wine can be made from all kit manufacturers, but these are the top three. But the Cellarcraft kits like to drop a whack of sediment when the instructions are followed to the letter, so you'd be wise to stay away from them. Or perhaps it would be more polite not to bad mouth Winexpert on the Winexpert forum.

Good stuff and couldn't agree more. I've mostly made W.E., but also made a couple RJS and Kenridge. Not much difference in my opinion. The RJS "Breezin" kits are extremely thin, less juice than the Island Mist kits. Won't make that again. I realize this is a low-end type kit, but it's not like one vendor is head-and-shoulders above the other across the board.

I get a little tired of people running down WE on this board. That's what I can get locally at very good prices ($110 USD for Estate Series) and we are very happy with the quality and results. I also like the Kenridge kits with grape skins.

Latest posts

Back