HELP bottle to early

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudy

Reaction score
I think I've bottled my pomegranate and cherry to early. I've put into wine bottle's and the corks are slowly rising. Is there any thing I can do. :-(

Yes. Open them up and determine if the wine is refermenting or you have excess CO2 in the wine and the warmer temps are changing atmospheric pressure.

Probably refermenting. Could be you over filled bottles.

Place in the refrigerator to slow fermentation.

You will most likely have to put all back into a carboy and determine the cause.

Exactly to help you we need more details of what you did.

OHOH...how many bottles you talking.
if it were me , i would uncork all add a bucket are carboy, and make sure it was not fermenting, and are degass the wine and recork.

Yes I agree - You are going to have to open them and find out why the corks are being pushed up.
Did you use sorbate ?
Possible MLF
re-fermentation
temperature change ?
air space within the bottle
correct size corks

I screwed up on my very first kit (heavy sediment) and needed to empty all my bottles. For me it wasn't too bad as I had 12 1.5L and 6 750ML to deal with; 18 not 30 bottles. Wine eventually turned out just fine.

OHOH...how many bottles you talking.
if it were me , i would uncork all add a bucket are carboy, and make sure it was not fermenting, and are degass the wine and recork.

Can I use screw tops or does it have to be corks?

You can not re-use the screw tops on screw top bottles and please do not try to add a cork to a screw top bottle, the neck is thinner than other bottles and you take a big chance of splitting the bottles when adding the cork. I do believe they sell the tops for screw tops but you might need special equipment to attach them.

Latest posts

Back