Help: air locks are delayed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lednugenna

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I have made a 3 gallon batch of pineapple banana wine. It smells amazing so far! The sg is 990 and I needed to get it into glass so I transfered it into 1 gallon glass jugs but unfortunately the airlocks that I ordered are not here yet. Just due to email problems and I expect them in a few days. Will my wine be ok with just plastic wrap for a few days? I had to strain the must becasue I stupidly forgot to put my fruit in a bag and the pineapple(which is all thats left) is a real pain in that it holds a lot of air and floats. I have learned my lesson and will be buying staining bags asap.
Anne
</font></font>

If i found myself in your position I would try to make some type of airlock. AT the very least I would try using something like a plastic bag over the top since the wine will be releasing some C02 and the bag can expand with the gas.

or maybe use the plastic wrap, but then have a pieceof tubing going from the air space at the top of the jug and then into a bucket of water to act as a makeshift airlock. (assuming you don't have the bungs either. If you have the bungs see if you can fit a piece of tubing into the bung hole and then run that into a jug of water.

I have found myself short before, and I have used the ole balloon trick. Just place a balloon with a very tiny pin hole in it over the bottle. I don't recommend this for very long, but my neighbor always made this when I was growing up, and it seemed to work.

If you have some tubing that will fit in the hole of the carboy stopper snugly place the tubing in the stopper, then take the tubing and place it in a wine bottle with water in it. Make sure the tubing stays under the surface of the water.
With an SG of 0.990 your fermentation should be complete. You could stabilize,degass, top up, and place a solid bung on the carboy or as you say place plastic wrap over the opening. I would use a few layers of wrap though as it is gas permeable but a few layers of it should be OK until you get your airlock in.

I normally top my carboys at this stage with an orange carboy cap or a solid bung in gallon jugs after fermentation is complete and the wine is not emitting CO2 gasses that need to escape.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I wish I could use a balloon but I have a latex allergy so they arent even allowed in my house. I have put sandwich bags on the jugs and I am just hoping that my airlocks(and bungs arrive soon) Thanks for all the ideas.
Anne

Ill bet the sandwich bags withsome string will do the trick easily. After all as long as fermentation is happening co2 will displace the air and protect your win. The other option is ship it to me overnight express and i will see that it is properly taken care of.
smiley15.gif
smiley8.gif

The plastic bags should work, rubberbanded or string tied on. After it inflates, put a pinhole or two in it to let some pressure escape.
Dave

Iused part of arubber surgical glove, washed and sanitized it, poked a small pin hole in the tip and used that. The elasticity kept tight to the jug and the finger inflated, but the pin hole let pressure escape.

This was an extra large surgical glove and the thumb area actually worked nicely! Sure it had a *??***?!!! funny looking end, but worked.

jsmahoney said:
This was an extra large surgical glove and the thumb area actually worked nicely! Sure it had a *??***?!!! funny looking end, but worked.

it fits well with this bunch
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back