Slow Banana wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa Fisher

Junior
Reaction score
I started a 5-gallon batch of banana wine on Dec. 17, 2022 & the SG was 1.100. I stirred it a couple of times a day. Did not see it bubble like crazy in the air lock. It was only slightly foamy. It is 5 days later & it is down to 1.00 SG. Does anyone think it is still good batch? Maybe my fermentation bag was too big, not allowing the must to work, because after I stirred, the bag floated & covered the whole top of the wine. I did taste it & it tastes like wine, so I think it is okay. Just wondering...

Last edited:
1.00 SG means that your yeast has eaten up almost all of the sugar there was to eat up and turned it into alcohol. Let it go for a few more days or rack it to a carboy. It is finished when the SG is below 0.998 and stays the same for three or four days in a row.

Sounds like your ferment went off just about right on schedule.

1.00 SG means that your yeast has eaten up almost all of the sugar there was to eat up and turned it into alcohol. Let it go for a few more days or rack it to a carboy. It is finished when the SG is below 0.998 and stays the same for three or four days in a row.

Sounds like your ferment went off just about right on schedule.
Ok, thanks! I'm just used to seeing the satisfaction of the bubbler bubbling!

I don't ever see a bubbler bubbling during Primary Fermentation, except if I am doing something I want to keep slowed down, like a white wine and then I have the temp down also. I find that I generally get better results without that initial lock-down. It works either way, no matter what some folks will say. I just find it works better with the yeast getting plenty of oxygen.

I find this whole wine making process fascinating so I take an SG reading and taste every day while in primary. It's part of my morning routine. I usually transfer to secondary around 1.020 so I need to know. 5 days is a good average but I find it intersting that some are mysteriously slow and others are mysteriously fast.

Back