Hello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IVAN Z

Junior
Reaction score
I see a few old friends from another forum, hi to all. My name is ivan i live in MN and i just started a new vineyard with cuttings from my old one. i love growing my merlot and pinot's as well as many of the cold hardy vines. i hope to learn more and help others if needed.

Welcome to the forum IVAN Z.....Great to have you on board....

Welcome Ivan.....believe it or not i was talking about you the other day...someone was asking me about growing merlot up here...i told them that i recalled reading once of a fellow ( you) that was folding down the plants to winter them over...so i said for a small amount of plants ot could be done.....how old are your vines now?

Hi, well some are 7-8 years old now. I moved them last year to my new home so I will have to wait a few years until they re-root so to say. I left one vine own rooted a pinot noir and I checked it last week and it survived the winter with mild injury… so it can be done. Thanks for the welcome.
smiley1.gif

amazing...how many vines were you getting a yield from and what was the yield prior to your moving them?

Welcome over here Ivan. It's been a while since I have seen you over there.

Al, his wines are great for vinifera grown so far north. I'm trying to recall all of them he sent me- Ifeel priviledged to get some of those, since they were such small batches. My wife uses the 187 ml bottle for cut roses as a vase. If I recall correctly, it was the Pinot Noir that was in it and I enjoyed it immensely.

How are the undisclosed variety ofvinesdoing over there? They should have come through the winter fine. These should take off growing and catch up quickly if they haven't already.

Welcome Ivan, glad to have you here!Maybe I missed it but where are you located that you are growing these so others can try it.

Al, the yields are average 8lbs per vine for the pinot noir, merlot, sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, chardonnay, and pinot Gris. I try to keep the yields down and close to the ground where I have a rock bed that keeps the heat better and longer during the night and year.
Richard, hi I have been busy in the yard and new home so I have not had time for the forum. I always enjoyed your warm comments and helpful advice. I’m glad all is well with you. The vines are doing well and thanks again.
smiley2.gif
I have been making cuttings the last few weeks so I can fill my new vineyard. Sometimes I think it would be better to by kits.
smiley36.gif

Wade I live in MN and thanks for the welcome.
Thanks Waldo glade to be here.

Ivan, welcome from a less experienced forum dweller. Glad to have you on board.

Welcome to the forum! I'm always excited to see pictures, so if you have any, it would be great to see them!

welcome Ivan,this is a good forum to grow with,stick around and while and see
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif