Hello there

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaronh

Reaction score
Hello, I was just exploring the net looking up wine related subjects and I stumbled here. I have stopped at quite a few forums and I must say I am liken the community andrecources here.
smiley32.gif

<DIV id=ms__id58>
<DIV id=ms__id59>

Welcome aboard Aaronh. We work really hard to provide the resource knowledge base for everyone. Look forward to you yourself becoming part of the community and resources here.
smiley20.gif

Welcome Aaron, do you have any wine making under your belt or contemplating starting? Either way we are hereto help you.

Welcome Aaronh!!!

Glad to have you here. You are right, this is the greatest community of friends you will find anywhere with any help you may need. Looking forward to hearing all albout you.RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Thanks for the welcomes.
<DIV id=ms__id11>
<DIV id=ms__id12>Well for starters , I am from MN Ely to be exact. I started brewing wine about 5 years ago for about a year then didn't pick it up again until this spring.
<DIV id=ms__id13>
<DIV id=ms__id14> So 5 years ago my cousin showed me the olé balloon and bread yeast method with grape juice from the store. Made quite a few small batches , apple, cranberry and of course Welches grape verities. Back then the object was get some alcohol and drink up. My friends enjoyed it especially the one batch of grape that kicked are butts one night.
<DIV id=ms__id16>
<DIV id=ms__id15> I stopped brewing due to moving around and other twists and turns life offers. Last winter I was doing some exploratory drilling and one of the workers asked if i was still brewing wine. It kinda struck me as odd because I never personally shared my wine with him but I guess it was worthy enough to become word of mouth. Then again most of the towns up here are so small, if ya fart it becomes the next mornings coffee topic.
smiley36.gif
He told me if i make any more he would like some.
<DIV id=ms__id17>
<DIV id=ms__id18> From that conversation I decided maybe I should take up the hobby again but a bit more seriously. I enjoyed brewing the wines in the past. It was exciting and it brought people together with wide and conspicuous eyes. I guess in short you can go to the store and buy so and so wine that any other Joe or Jane can buy. But a home brew wine has more of a meaning and magnetism to it, not to mention potency when called for.
<DIV id=ms__id19>
<DIV id=ms__id20> Spring rolled on in and I gave up the endless days of tapping the earth for precious minerals and reclaimed my old job that provided me with the time to do other things rather than make money. I started reading about home brewingand researching the finer points of what we know as wine.
<DIV id=ms__id21>The greatest discovery was that home brew can be as crystal clear and stable as thestore boughtwine without burn en a hole in your pocket.
<DIV id=ms__id23>
<DIV id=ms__id22> So I cleaned out my spare room and turned it into my shrine of wine making. I ordered a 6 gallon carboy , additives , wine thief and ablessed Hydrometer
smiley20.gif
. I went down to the grocery store. Then I talked to the manager and got bunch of Welches concentrate at a good price, that saved me 23 dollars from not buying itright off the self. A day after pitching the yeast, it happened, seeing the yeast working away gave me the feeling of gratitude, hope, and I guessa new child or maybe a million + children
smiley14.gif
<DIV id=ms__id28>
<DIV id=ms__id24>I have always liked this quote from Jancis Robinson, "When wine takes hold of a person, it tends to sink its claws in pretty deep".
<DIV id=ms__id25>
<DIV id=ms__id26>Well long story short , the Welches wine turned out clear andtastier. The wines5 years agoI made were not to clear at all.Out of 29 bottles I gave 10 to friends.I have been drinken the other 19, oneevery week, to experience the change of taste and smell of the wine as it gets older.
<DIV id=ms__id30>
<DIV id=ms__id31>Back while my Welches was brewing I surfed for information read forums , found Jack Keller's website and stumbled onto a song called Lilac Wine. I was thinking to myself hmmmm yaaa I bet that would be a nice wine to get brewing since its spring. After allot of surfing I found hardly anything on lilac wine. I found a couple recipes on jack Keller's site and started picking, cleaning and freezing the petals till I accumulated 3.5 gallon bags.
<DIV id=ms__id32>I created the must on 4/01/08 and pitched the yeast on 4/03/08.
<DIV id=ms__id33>Today I just racked it off the 2nd blanket of lees. Now I'm just watching Ph and letting any sediment seddle until I'm satisfied enough to add my sparkliod for final clearing and prepare to bottle. It tastes and smells wonderful so far.
<DIV id=ms__id34>Here is a link from another forum I visit often and get my supplies,with pictures that shows a brief breakdown of me making it.
<DIV id=ms__id35>http://www.brew-wineforum.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=11&amp;MessageID=84391
<DIV id=ms__id36>
<DIV id=ms__id38>Well in a nutshell , I really enjoy wine making and all that goes with it. I often catch myself swirling,shoving my whole nose in a wine glass , taken a sipand indulging all my senses. The downfall is the aura of wine snobbery which is seen at first impression
smiley9.gif
. I'm not a snob, I just really like wine, do you not kiss your girlfriend before you make lovewith her?.
<DIV id=ms__id47>
<DIV id=ms__id39>As for the future, I plan on buying comecanned crushed Pinot noir in September and brewing 5 gallons.I already have another 6 gallons of welches brewing but with added tannins and allot more time in the carboy.Allot of the folksI gave the Welches wine too, already have apple trees,frozen rhubarband blueberry's scouted out to be picked. I have a feeling its going to be a busy fall.
<DIV id=ms__id41>
<DIV id=ms__id40>Well hopeI wasn't rambling too much and again Ty for the welcome.Edited by: Aaronh

Welcome to the forum Aaronh.....Get those friuts and berries picked and put away....Winter's comeing and time to make lots of wine....

Latest posts

Back