Hello from Western PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in a small town north of Pittsburgh called Saxonburg. I have been making wines for about a year and a half. My husband helps me, he makes beer but lately he likes to tell people that he does not have time to make beer because of all the work I make him do helping me make wine but he knows he can make beer whenever he wants.

Julie

Welcome to the forum Julie, glad to have you join us. Tell the hubby he doesn't have to help you anymore! We would be glad to help you have success in your wine making efforts.

Don't be afraid to ask anything in here. There are no dumb or redundant questions.

Please take a second to tell us about what you have, and what you want to make.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Troy

I have made:
Concord (this is what got me started, I use to make jelly but no one eats it anymore)
Elderberry, my favorite, I make a full body and then a blush from the seconds
Raspberry
Cherry - 1st batch with momtmorency and 2nd batch from bing
apple spice
blackberry
watermelon
tropical fruit
pumpkin spice
riesling
orange spice mead
blackberry/raspberry mead
gewurtz

Wecolm aboard Julie. Are up near grove city? There is a nice wine supply place in the town of portersville I go to when I am down that way. So how do you feel about the Browns :):)

Wecolm aboard Julie. Are up near grove city? There is a nice wine supply place in the town of portersville I go to when I am down that way. So how do you feel about the Browns :):)

I am about a 30 minute drive from Grove City and I have been to the wine store in Portersville. Really nice people, he shared a Strawberry/Banana mead that he had made with my husband and I. Very tasty.

The Browns :a1 ....gee no I haven't but I have been thinking about the Steelers a lot :db

Julie

a nice collection of wines indeed Ma'am! Time for you to get out of the introduction section, and meet us in some of the other threads here. I would love to make a cherry wine.!

Something is telling me my next wine will be a cranberry pomerganate!

Welcome!

Welcome! I am originally from Mercer County! PA wine is on its way up. Go Steelers! (well, maybe not this year)

Allie!!!! There are lots of gals in here! I need to find one who'll make wine for me! LOL

Sometimes our user names throw us off. I cant remember all of them but off the top of my head I think about Leanne, Grapenut, Wild Seed Girl, oh geez, I should not even started. i will find and identify them.
LOL
Troy

I don't want to start to much trouble, I will need a bale of straw to sleep on when I get there.

Troy

Welcome! I am originally from Mercer County! PA wine is on its way up. Go Steelers! (well, maybe not this year)

Wow and now you are all the way across the states. Mercer County is pretty much in my backyard. Did you ever go to the Iron Bridge restaurant? They have some awesome steaks and lobster tails.

Thanks for the welcome

Julie

Hey Julie, The Iron Bridge is awesome! I was just there Thursday for a holiday Lunch. That my favorite place to stop when I'm down that way. It was kind of a central place for the people I work with to meet.:try

Iron Bridge is where I took my high school sweetheart for Prom! Delicious. Used to go to Rachel's Roadhouse too, not even sure if that's still around. I had back that way quite a bit as most of family still lives in the area.

nubeedubee

according to this web-site, looks like Rachels & Iron Bridge are owned by the same folks, and still in business.

http://www.springfields.com/

and thanks all for this tip on places to eat next summer on our way to a Pirates game or two.

Steve

Last edited:
nubeedubee

according to this web-site, looks like Rachels & Iron Bridge are owned by the same folks, and still in business.

http://www.springfields.com/

and thanks all for this tip on places to eat next summer on our way to a Pirates game or two.

Steve

Yes they are, I see you found their website. There is also The Log Cabin farther down Rt 19 and they have a couple restaurants call the Springfield House, I know there is one on the Boardman in Ohio and one in Cranberry, PA. Unlike most chain restaurants each restaurant has its own unique menu which leads to its own atmosphere.

Julie

Steve, you can't go wrong with any of the restaurants owned by that group and you find a few others a little closer to Pittsburgh like the Log cabin. What area are you from that you go to the Pirates game? Theres a lot more wineries closer to the Indians, LOL

Hey Julie, The Iron Bridge is awesome! I was just there Thursday for a holiday Lunch. That my favorite place to stop when I'm down that way. It was kind of a central place for the people I work with to meet.:try

You need to see about having some meetings there more often and try to make one for dinner. If you do go for dinner, there will probably be a wait, go to the back bar. If it is still the same bartender there, he is fantastic. He likes to joke around with the customers. He makes the wait so enjoyable that you actually are hoping for a one or two hour wait for a table.

Julie

Latest posts

Back