Hello from the( not so )frozen north!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdcurl

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Please bear with me as I try to post on this forum.(computer challenged)
I am a not so new winemaker, who has just recently discovered this forum. NICE SITE, wish i had found you ages ago,as i sure learned a lot in my short time here.
I try to maintain a 3 to 500 bottlecellar,made up of mostly high end kits,some mead, a few country wines, and the occasoinal batch of beer.

Cellar is down to 200+ at the moment due to the daughter and her hubby killing a beef .(we trade)
We have in carboys- "Chilean Merlot" all juice kit-"Pinot Noir" 18 liter kit,ONYX 5 all juice "montepulciano-Merlot"kit,and some 3 gal. second run carboys aging.
Enough for now

Keith
P.S. Will try to post pics later

Welcome Keith, from one who lives in the not so frozen Southwest. I love it: 3 to 500 bottles. When I frist read it, late tonight, I was thinking 3 rather than what you intended 300. I need a daughter old enough to trade with (only two more years). I did pour some homemade in her non-alcoholic glass of my 19 year old daugther's carbonated Welch's grape juice (the 12 year old stepdaugther wanted the latter). I have a real problem with a government who expects you to die for your country but denies you the right to enjoy a glass of wine before you die.

I cannot consume as fast as I make. I'm looking forward to your pics. Your winemaking variety sounds just like mine (at least after George converted me to kits). In fact, I am long overdue to brew a new beer. Edited by: dfwwino

Welcome....Hope you stay and share your adventures.

I am a displaced Canadian living in Minnesota...
smiley4.gif

Love it here and love it there.
Many relatives in Southern B.C.

Thanks for the replies.

DFW
We also make a lot more than we drink. I seem to be converting my children and a lot of friends over to the grape. Growing grapes seems to be out of the question here. Something to do with -40 temps. ?

Keith

Welcome kdcurl. What area of our neighbor to the north are you from?
It is indeed a very large country.

Edit: Now I see where you are. Didn't notice your signature. Edited by: appleman

Keith,
Welcome! We look forward to learning from and with you.
BTW, we see that -40 number here too. It is the only time you and I have the same reading - either F or C!

dfwwino said:
Welcome Keith, from one who lives in the not so frozen Southwest. I love it: 3 to 500 bottles. When I frist read it, late tonight, I was thinking 3 rather than what you intended 300. I need a daughter old enough to trade with (only two more years). I did pour some homemade in her non-alcoholic glass of my 19 year old daugther's carbonated Welch's grape juice (the 12 year old stepdaugther wanted the latter). I have a real problem with a government who expects you to die for your country but denies you the right to enjoy a glass of wine before you die.

I cannot consume as fast as I make. I'm looking forward to your pics. Your winemaking variety sounds just like mine (at least after George converted me to kits). In fact, I am long overdue to brew a new beer.
DF, I too was smiling at the 3 to 500!
I'm with you on the government. We should remove the legisated drinking age and teach moderate consumption at home like the europeans do. When the grandchildren are with us, it gripes me to refuse them a glass when they are interested in both the drink,its history, and the process.

Wow, Fort St John is far north. Welcome from a fellow Canuck! I'm in the not so frozen Vancouver.

NW

Pleased to meetcha! Trashy will be saying"another damn canadian"
Any of you south of the 49ththat get a hankerin for alaska must pass by here if on a road trip. Stop in for a bit of northern hospitality

Dean

Thanks. The "not so frozen"was only temporary, Back below zero here.

Keith

Keith, welcome to the wine fest forum!! Enjoy and tell us what you have in your carboy (s).
smiley4.gif

kdcurl said:
NW

Pleased to meetcha! Trashy will be saying"another damn canadian"
Any of you south of the 49ththat get a hankerin for alaska must pass by here if on a road trip. Stop in for a bit of northern hospitality

I grew up near Edmonton, familiar with the cold.....

Not that warm where we are at now either.

uavwmn
_6 gal chilean merlot all juice kit
_"" montepulciano-merlot all juice kit
_"" pinot noir 18liter kit
_3-3 gal second run from past kits with skins&pips bulk ageing

on deck
6 gal pinot noir en primier kit from RJS
" " amerone/w/skins from cellar craft

NW

I see that you are a gardener. Do you manage to grow any grapes where you are?

kdcurl said:
NW

I see that you are a gardener. Do you manage to grow any grapes where you are?

Have had the best success with Beta, King of the North and Valiant....[Concord type X Wild]....makes wine, but not the best. Very drinkable for what we are making it with.....

Trying some hardy wine type white grapes...Baltic Amber, Louise Swenson and Prairie Star....... these are suppose to be hardy to -40° F-C.

Also trying Frontenac and Frontenac Gris..... -30°F [-34°C] Leaving them hang on the wires to test their hardiness.

Have some Edelweiss and Swenson Red [-30°F] [-34°C]....those I grow on a 8 foot piece of cattle panel and lay down and cover with straw for the winter.

Other varieties have come and gone....So, going to stay with these for awhile.

I have been planting other fruits and berries in my Wine Garden and hope to have other fruits for wines in a few years....Some are very hardy bushes...others are getting a good test.

It can easily get -40° here too....
ColdSmall.gif
ColdBig.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

Hi kdcurl,

It has been a few days since I checked in and always glad to see new friends appear....Welcome!!!!

Ramona

Back