Hello from Texas! Newbie Winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Jimpaw

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm from Texas, I've done some Beer Brewing, not much, but a few batches. I caught the fermenting bug again.
Here's two bottles of Mead I just racked into the secondary fermenters.

Very Simple Recipe.

3lbs of honey
2 gals water
1 packet of classic wine yeast.
(I know, I should have used 6 Lbs of Honey)

Mead_seconday_04_14_22.jpg

Last edited:

tullamore

Reaction score
Welcome Jimpaw - apple cider sounds great
do tell me - have u been to Aaron Franklin's BBQ in Austin?? did u tailgate at 3am to get in for lunch at 11am? - i'm a huge fan of his story and his work

Rice_Guy

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Wine Making Talk
Got my heart set on an Apple Cider!
how about apple cyser? the trick I have been doing is to put 5% of a tannin containing crab apple in the juice to give long flavor notes to the cyser. Down the road I am planning on using red flesh apple, BUT it will take a few years to get the trees to a producing size. ,,, have you tried carmelized honey? a bouchet.

Jimpaw

Junior
Reaction score
Welcome to Wine Making Talk

how about apple cyser? the trick I have been doing is to put 5% of a tannin containing crab apple in the juice to give long flavor notes to the cyser. Down the road I am planning on using red flesh apple, BUT it will take a few years to get the trees to a producing size. ,,, have you tried carmelized honey? a bouchet.

Haven't tried caramelized honey, terrified of Burning my Honey. You are correct, I will probably do Cyser! I like using Honey instead of Sugar! I'm going to take some time looking at recipes for my Cyser. Thinking of some Orange Peels/Juice, Cinnamon sticks to add in. I'm also looking at some black tea for tannins.

Texas is a huge place, I live in Denton, which is North Texas, almost on the OK border, Austin is a long way!

Rice_Guy

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hate to say it but the lazy way to cook honey is safer/ easy to controll, ,,, by the no. hours.
an interesting test; An easy way to start a bochet is with a slow cooker, no monitoring a boil, can leave it for a few hours, and easy to melt back into a must/ wine since it is hot.

When I do this again I will stop ar the six hour point where the room smells like cooked honey (about 200F). The ten hour point has lost some aroma and flavor has notes of a dark ale.
View attachment 68273
View attachment 68274

.View attachment 68277

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm from Texas, I've done some Beer Brewing, not much, but a few batches. I caught the fermenting bug again.
Welcome to WMT. Enjoy the forum.:b Are you taking a break from brewing?

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm concentrating on wine making, so I guess that would be yes, but the two are related.
Great, and I agree, thanks for the replies. May I say enjoy fermenting?:)

Reaction score
Welcome! You have come to the right place for advice and learning. Mead looks good, I made my first mead around Thanksgiving last year...modified it to a Cyser. I used 5 lb of Honey, Apple Cider instead of water, added a bit more sugar, and yeast. Bentonite to clear. Bottled it up and the first bottles were drinkable in 4 weeks, but better at the end of Jan. I've given a couple of bottles to my sons, and the rest is waiting on me to open when I get the 'thirst'. They look fantastic....I'm sure yours will be the same!

acallan921

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very Simple Recipe.

3lbs of honey
2 gals water
1 packet of classic wine yeast.
(I know, I should have used 6 Lbs of Honey)

View attachment 87059
Hello! Excited to be here also and I’m also a newbie!!