Hello from Texas! Newbie Winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimpaw

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm from Texas, I've done some Beer Brewing, not much, but a few batches. I caught the fermenting bug again.
Here's two bottles of Mead I just racked into the secondary fermenters.

Very Simple Recipe.

3lbs of honey
2 gals water
1 packet of classic wine yeast.
(I know, I should have used 6 Lbs of Honey)

Mead_seconday_04_14_22.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome Jimpaw - apple cider sounds great
do tell me - have u been to Aaron Franklin's BBQ in Austin?? did u tailgate at 3am to get in for lunch at 11am? - i'm a huge fan of his story and his work

Welcome to Wine Making Talk
Got my heart set on an Apple Cider!
how about apple cyser? the trick I have been doing is to put 5% of a tannin containing crab apple in the juice to give long flavor notes to the cyser. Down the road I am planning on using red flesh apple, BUT it will take a few years to get the trees to a producing size. ,,, have you tried carmelized honey? a bouchet.

Welcome to Wine Making Talk

how about apple cyser? the trick I have been doing is to put 5% of a tannin containing crab apple in the juice to give long flavor notes to the cyser. Down the road I am planning on using red flesh apple, BUT it will take a few years to get the trees to a producing size. ,,, have you tried carmelized honey? a bouchet.

Haven't tried caramelized honey, terrified of Burning my Honey. You are correct, I will probably do Cyser! I like using Honey instead of Sugar! I'm going to take some time looking at recipes for my Cyser. Thinking of some Orange Peels/Juice, Cinnamon sticks to add in. I'm also looking at some black tea for tannins.

Texas is a huge place, I live in Denton, which is North Texas, almost on the OK border, Austin is a long way!

hate to say it but the lazy way to cook honey is safer/ easy to controll, ,,, by the no. hours.
an interesting test; An easy way to start a bochet is with a slow cooker, no monitoring a boil, can leave it for a few hours, and easy to melt back into a must/ wine since it is hot.

When I do this again I will stop ar the six hour point where the room smells like cooked honey (about 200F). The ten hour point has lost some aroma and flavor has notes of a dark ale.
View attachment 68273
View attachment 68274

.View attachment 68277

Hey everyone, I'm from Texas, I've done some Beer Brewing, not much, but a few batches. I caught the fermenting bug again.
Welcome to WMT. Enjoy the forum.:b Are you taking a break from brewing?

Welcome! You have come to the right place for advice and learning. Mead looks good, I made my first mead around Thanksgiving last year...modified it to a Cyser. I used 5 lb of Honey, Apple Cider instead of water, added a bit more sugar, and yeast. Bentonite to clear. Bottled it up and the first bottles were drinkable in 4 weeks, but better at the end of Jan. I've given a couple of bottles to my sons, and the rest is waiting on me to open when I get the 'thirst'. They look fantastic....I'm sure yours will be the same!

Very Simple Recipe.

3lbs of honey
2 gals water
1 packet of classic wine yeast.
(I know, I should have used 6 Lbs of Honey)

View attachment 87059
Hello! Excited to be here also and I’m also a newbie!!

Latest posts

Back