Hello from Regina

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinnychick

Junior
Reaction score
Yes, I know what it rhymes with, you don't have to say it. ;)

I've been making wine for about... 4 days now. :) Just a baby (1 gal) batch of berry wine to wrap my head around the process. Its bubbling away and starting to get a boozy smell, so at least the yeast knows what its doing.

I prefer non-grape wines, and hope to eventually match my great-uncle's chokecherry wine. That stuff was fantastic with everything from steak to ice cream (but was best if you served it with another bottle nearby) XD

I've just become a cooler mom in my kids' eyes... a possible source of free booze? We love you mommy... Does it count as bootlegging if you make them work for it? ;)

Vikki

Hi Vikki and welcome to the forum. Feel free to pop in any time and ask questions. We will walk you through any step or help you solve any issues.

Hi Vikki and welcome to the forum. Feel free to pop in any time and ask questions. We will walk you through any step or help you solve any issues.
Hi Vikki, and welcome to the forum.

If Don is still running the Wine Kitz store in the east end of Regina, he would be a great resource for fruit wine making (and kits and beer). He certainly was when I was learing to make wine 10 or 12 years ago. He was still there in Sept 2008.

Steve

Welcome to the forum, Vikki.
There are several non-grape-only (fruit) wine makers here and lots of others who make both fruit and grape wines.

When you have a question, just ask away; someone will respond. :b

Hi Vikki, welcome to the forum. You should like it here. Based on your first sentence, you'll fit right in. LOL :D

If Don is still running the Wine Kitz store in the east end of Regina, he would be a great resource for fruit wine making (and kits and beer). He certainly was

I'm not sure about Don, but there are 2 Wine Kitz stores now, as well as quite a few others. More than I had realized actually. There's one with really reasonable prices just a few blocks from my house (another one I had gone to had prices that scared me right out of the store) so I've been going there. The helpfulness really varies from one person to the next, even within the same store. One sweet lady took the time to discuss the difference between two similar items (which went way over my head, but no big deal) and actually recommended this site, while the person who was there 2 days later (I had gotten all the supplies I needed except yeast - derp!) was barely interested in my presence in the store, and when she found out that I had gotten much of my information off the net she kind of looked like I had offered her a bowl of slime mold.

Different types everywhere, I'll just learn which people to avoid, just like any other store. XD

Cool Mom???? they will tell youn that till the wine runs out. Welcome to the party.

I'm not sure about Don, but there are 2 Wine Kitz stores now, as well as quite a few others.
There were three Wine Kitz stores for a while, about 2001 (I think).

Might be more stores than when I lived there, now that Sask is a Ferment-on-Premises province. You will probably find that some store employees in the FoPs don't understand people making wine at home.

BTW, I think Harvest Brewing (on Broad St) has a good supply of fruit wine making supplies. Gord (who runs the store) should be helpful. If he isn't let me know, I'll blast him (he's a good buddy of mine).

Steve

Hello Vikki. I am also a wine making baby. The folks here are very helpful and friendly. Shoot out any question and you will for sure get a couple answers.

Have fun
Bruce

Well thanks for the kind welcome everybody. I'm enjoying being the cool mom while it lasts. My kids are usually pretty awesome about knowing how cool I am (I'm an expert in mind control!! :p )
I haven't been to Harvest Brewing yet, but next time I'm in that area I'll definitely make a point of it.

I'll probably come up with a ton of questions, it's mostly a matter of remembering them when I'm near the computer. :re

For now, I'm off to do some much deserved reading in the forums. This has been a horrible nasty week at work and in this case, wine will get it out of my head pretty well. LOL

Vikki

Hey welcome....glad to see another Cdn, especially a Mom, join...I love fruit wines as well and here in BC there are some great wineries producing some fantastic wine. A link you might be interested in... http://www.dailyfruitwine.com/ I've read reveiws about the book and they weren't that great but this guy is supposed to be a fabulous fruit winemaker. Good luck with your winemaking - you'll have lots of fun experimenting until you find that 'perfect' recipe:try

Latest posts

Back