Hello All!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katrine822

Junior
Reaction score
New to the forum. Currently have two five gallon pails of Regina juice - Chard and Grenache - in my south side Chicago garage fridge. Chomping at the bit to get going but need to wait until Monday due to my sig other's schedule. We made wine years (so many years) ago living in WNY but I was more of a taster than a participant. Now knowing the profile I like, I (read: we) am going to try for a butter bomb Chard. Is that process too aggressive for (what I consider) a first timer? We are going to try going with the natural yeast and see what happens vs introducing a predetermined strain.

I've researched until my eyes crossed and the only definitive answer I've found is if you ask 10 winemakers a question, you'll get twelve answers. Thanks in advance - I have learned so much just being a lurker on this page.

Hi @Katrine822 welcome to wmt.
Just some suggestions for your chardonnay. Consider 2 buckets, one with a yeast strain that can product more buttery flavors and 1 just au natural like you plan on doing. I would opt to choose a yeast strain which would guarantee that buttery flavor you enjoy because you don't know what flavors the natural yeast will have. I find morewine.com has a good description of yeasts.
Also, most chardonnays go through malolactive fermentation following alcoholic fermentation to convert the malic acid into lactic acid. This conversion creates that smooth buttery flavor in chardonnay.
The process is not too aggressive, just do your homework.
Simply put add your selected yeast strain. (consider using yeast nutrient to help complete full fermentation)
When complete, or near complete with alcoholic fermentation, then add a malolactive culture such as wyeast 4007. (use a malolactic nutrient like opti-malo to ensure complete malolactive fermentation.)
In about 1 month to 6 weeks you can add sulphites and continue with the normal winemaking process.

Stick with it and also consider a wine kit if the results of your fresh juice doesn't turn out the way you like. But keep experimenting and figuring out how to make what you enjoy drinking.

Latest posts

Back