Hello from Ojai, CA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko1

Junior
Reaction score
Just joined the forum over the weekend. I'm on my 4th wine (3 kits and one fruit from our Pomegranate tree). This is the view from our backyard taken this morning:
20090901_112659_L1000345.JPG

That's a new vineyard planted a little over a year ago. We haven't met this folks yet so I'm not sure what they're growing.

Over the weekend I transferred a Sangiovese from the primary to the secondary and had some problems with the oak dust clogging up the spigot and auto siphon but it all eventually worked out. I also stabilized, degassed and began clarifying a Viognier. which developed sediment at the top of the carboy. I moved it outside to get a better picture of it so I could post it and ask if anyone thought this might be a problem, however, when I moved it to a table outside, most of it dropped to the bottom. So I am guessing that all is well. Here's a picture of what was left:
20090901_114719_L1000342.JPG

and a wider view
20090901_120121_L1000352.JPG

This is my first white wine but there does seem to be alot of sediment in the bottom compared to the red and fruit wine I made.

So far, I am really loving this and I look forward to learning from all your collective experience.

Welcome Marko glad to have you aboard and nice view. There is alot of collective experience that I seek also and get from the other members.

Enjoy

Its just easier to see all the sediment in a white wine. just shake that carboy up a little and those few chunks will eventually fall unless its till fermenting, there could even be a lot of gas holding it suspended, no big deal, it will fall eventually. Welcome and what a beautiful view you have there.

Welcome Marko. Another great view in California!

The stuff probablyjust floated up there like Wade said because it was suspended by C02. Sometimes it will even form on the side of the carboy. Usually just a slight bump or swirl takes care of it.

Welcome Marko. Glad to have you onboard. I'd grab a bottle of my wine if i was you and head over and introduce myself to those neighbors

Welcome aboard. Look forward to reading your posts

Marko, welcome to the forum. What a beautiful view!!!
smiley4.gif

No worries, that stuff will drop to the bottom. Grab a glass of wine, enjoy the view.

Welcome!

Looks like your on your way with a new fun hobby/obsession.......

Hope the smoke is not too bad out your way. My oldest daughter lives in Glendale!

wow, what a view! nothing like that in north Texas!
smiley17.gif
Welcome to the forum!

Hey Marko,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry it took me awhile to notice your post. My home town is just down the road from you in Santa Paula! Ojai is a fabulous place. Enjoy the <strike>obsessi</strike> uh, hobby!

Latest posts

Back