Hello from Northern Ontario.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically, latitude wise you are closer to the igloos and polar bears than I am............. not by much though. Long winters here sometimes though and in Winnipeg too.

It's Canada! We do long winters and great beer :db

Funnily enough, I have a friend who was followed by a polar bear when he lived in Churchill. Good times :D

Brrr. Are you going to make some ice wine?

Lol!

I keep thinking I should try my hand at making some of that Apple Ice Wine. I bet my neighbour would leave me some crab apples on his tree to try it! All of this ruddy cold has to be good for something, right?

Welcome aboard!
Hello again the_rayway

Apple Ice Wine...... something I will look up as I have been lately watching and reading the wine from scratch recipes members talk about and the ones that interest me for future attempts I have been copying and pasting them to word and printing them out for future reference. That is my goal after becoming very comfortable with the process to make wine from scratch. One of recipes I have printed out is this "Dragon Blood Wine" I have seen talk of quite often, that may be the first one I attempt, maybe in the near future.
+

Hello versgal, and thank you for that western welcome.
I see you are from British Columbia. I have been there 4 times now, 3 in the winter to ski Whistler and once in the summer to visit with my son.
He lives in British Columbia too, Vancouver specifically. He has an apartment in North Vancouver on the 11th floor and from his bedroom window he has a view of the mountains and from his living room he has a view of Vancouver and of course mountains in the background. He is living and working there until he starts his Masters Degree in Commerce specializing in Finance next September. A requirement of the Universities that offer a Masters degree in Commerce is that students have to work a minimum of 2 years before being allowed to apply for their Masters degree. So because he loves snow boarding, mountain biking and mountain climbing that is where he headed, over 2 years ago. At home here he packed up his Toyota Matrix with all his belongings, it was stuffed full, and he left home here to go out West with no job or place to stay. But he quickly got a job selling advertisements and he travels all over British Columbia and Alberta also selling advertisements. I spoke with him on the phone today and tomorrow he is driving up to Kamloops area for a week to sell advertisements there. He is doing extremely well and he is living his dream before he goes back to University. When I went in the winter to go skiing at Whistler I would land in Vancouver and then take the shuttle up to Whistler, ski for a week and then come home so I never got to see and appreciate all of the beauty that is British Columbia. When I went in the summer time to visit our son after visiting with him we left on our own and drove a long loop thru British Columbia, visiting first Banff/Lake Louise, up to Kamloops, to Whistler, down to Vancouver across to Kelowna and then back to Calgary, which is where we started from because our son at that time was in Calgary and we flew home from Calgary. So after that wonderful trip I tell anyone I talk to about traveling that you have to see British Columbia in the summer time with your own eyes at least once in your life, it is just a beautiful place. You know on the west side of the mountains it is like a rainforest with all the tall trees and then a relatively short drive on the east side of the mountains, the dry side like Kamloops and Kelowna it is like a desert, no trees. It is a place everyone should see for themselves once in their life.
p.s. I have nothing to do with tourism in British Columbia or Alberta. :)

wow! It's great to see where you live through someone else's eyes sometimes. We just take for granted what we have and sometimes forget to just take a look around you. I hear a lot of pride in your son on your post :h I love to hear that.
I was born in Winnipeg, Man. and lived there the 1st 7 years of my life, then we moved to Shilo, Man. and finally Oromocto, NB. And yes I was an army brat Lol. I remember when we came here from New Brunswick,my parents threw us 5 kids in the station wagon and drove across stopping in all Provinces.It's something I want to do again in the near future.
I have to agree with you, BC is a beautiful place to visit! Try it in the spring! My cousin and wife came down from Nova Scotia not long ago and stated"the only place you can golf in the morning and go skiing in the afternoon".
Thanks for making me look around me again!

Latest posts

Back