Hello from Indiana

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonzo

Reaction score
Just retired from the U.S. Navy and now back home in Indiana. Always wanted to make my own wine now I have the time. I am on my first batch, it is a Chardonnay from a Vintners Reserve kit. I will venture out on my own after I have a successful batch. I am fermenting in the primary fermentation bucket right now. It has been in their for 7 days now and the airlock had been and still is busy. I began preps to move it to the carboy. I took a sample and tested it and it is at 1.032. Instructions say do not move it unless it is below 1.010. It started at 1.076 so i know it is working. I will leave it but at this rate it will be another 3-4 days before it drops to 1.010. Is this normal? what is the normal wait time from the primary fermentation? it has been stored in a closet in the basement and is quite cool down there, not freezing but prolly in the high 60's.

Hi Lonzo,

Welcome to the forum!
I can't answer your question(s) with any certainty since I'm also new to the forum but I'm sure others will soon be along that will also welcome you and have lots of answers to your questions.

Sounds like you have a great start, congrats on your retirement and Thank You for your service in the Navy.

Keep us posted on your progress ...

Hi Lonzo, welcome to the forum. Here's a couple of suggestions for you. You don't need the lid snapped down tight with an airlock during primary fermentation. You can, but it sounds like you want to move it to a carboy for secondary fermentation. Take the lid off, stir it a bit to provide a little oxygen and just lay the lid on the fermenter. Warm your must up to the low to mid 70's. I think if you do these things your fermentation will finish up. Good Luck!

ok so it is ok to move the must to the carboy even with such a high SG?

I'd do what I suggested above and wait 'til it drops a little more. Maybe tomorrow or the next day.

ok ill pop the lid off and just set it on top tonight and then check the sg tomorrow when i get home from work. i am excited to get my first batch done but i will have the patience to see it thru to correct completion. thx for the tips. ill post some picks of my process. i think i saw a pics section in the forum. already even have the labels done up :)

ok, holy crap. just went downstairs, popped the lid and took the temperature. it was at 58 degrees F. moved it upstairs to a warmer room so that will bring the temp up. will check on it again in the morning. Sux because i had a perfect fermentation spot downstairs. now i find out it is to cold down there. have to find a new spot. Will be getting an electric heater to warm up the basement some.

Welcome to the forum Lonzo, happy to have a Veteran on board around here I may just have to send you a bottle since I cant buy you a beer at the pub. But as to your basement, if heating the entire area isnt cost effective in the long run as that would be alot of juice maybe it would cost less(long term) to snatch up some 2x4's and DBoy boards to make a place for your new hobby. If you could do this yourself or with help the materials wouldnt be that bad, maybe $200-$300 for a nice sized area. Average cost of a space heater running all the time is about $30-$50/month so this may be a cheaper solution if you think about it. You could even run some duct work directly to it and heat it easily with the upper portion of your house.

Im sure you will be hooked, and using the space alot and this would also give you the rest of the basement for a good cold storage area for bulk aging. That mid 50's temp is almost ideal for aging wine. Hope to hear more from you soon on future batches.

temp holding at 66 degrees. SG dropped to 1.009. will give it one more day. gonna rack it tomorrow. thanks to u all.

Welcome to Winemakingtalk Lonzo and thank you for your service.

Cool ... You,re on the home stretch (Or would That be aging ...),
sorry, brain fade, labels ... (I need to work in this direction --->)
I'll need some too, as soon as I own a corker and some corks.

I think even 80W, two 40W bulbs (Incandescent bulbs are fairly efficient heaters), with the right insulation (r-factor) would be sufficient for up to 10 gal (37.8 L). (Better the insulation the less the monthly bill)

Heck, you could heat that area with a wind generator and/ or solar panel and have plenty to spare. Sounds like a good use for the 500W wind gen. and 30W panel). Even "passive heating" can be used with some thought about air flow, sensors and control.

Ductwork is a great idea, it's nice to be able to transfer heat as needed.
(I use wood heat and duct a portion of the hot air to rooms farther from the wood stove).
Insulated ducting seems expensive but with an inline fan and a thermostatic controller ... you can do wonders, add an inline air filter (hardboard and duct tape, a furnace type and a hepa filter after is cheap but helps cut down on dust etc.). I'd use 2x4 frame with rigid insulation boards and perhaps 4 mil plastic over the studs (add æsthetics as needed).

As North_GA noted,
this would also give you the rest of the basement for a good cold storage area for bulk aging. That mid 50's temp is almost ideal for aging wine.

How sweet it is ... let mother nature maintain the temp.

Ok, just racked the wine into the carboy. Now I am suppose to wait 10 days and then add the metabisulphate, sorbate and sparkolloid. It is very very brown looking and also a few oak chips made their way into the carboy. Question is should i rack it again in 10 days? If so, should I rack it before or after adding the additives?

Welcome from one Hoosier to another! Where are you now living? Thanks for your service and I hope you will really enjoy becoming a new vintner.

My basement has an average ambient temp of 65-70F. In late winter it can dip to the lower 60's which is not real conducive for a healthy fermentation. When I see the lower temps, I use a brew belt to maintain a temp >70F. A brew belt is a flexible resistance heater that wraps around the fermenting container. The belt resembles a "heat tape" that is used to prevent water lines from freezing. A few degrees of higher temps make such a difference in fermentation.

Latest posts

Back