hello from CT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMic

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a relatively new winemaker in CT.
Started last fall with 6Gal each of California Nebbiolo, Old Vine Zin, and Malbec. Each has netted a full 5G carboy with a 1/2G mini jug for topping off. As the 1/2 gallon jugs are depleted with topping off the bigger carboys, I fill them with sterilized glass marbles for maintaining volume in the jug. They are coming along ok, I've racked them twice, but will not rack further until bottling, because they are pretty well clarified already.
Just finished primary fermentation last night on my Chilean juices. Again, 6G each, this time a Chianti, Carmenere, and Syrah. Again, off the 6G, I netted a full 5G carboy of each and a 1/2G jug that I will use for top off...
Love the whole process thus far, having fun with it and trying to be patient!
A few quick questions I have if anyone can steer me in the right direction...

1.)When using airlocks, as I do, of course... Is the preferred method to fill the airlock with grain spirits or with a Potassium metabisulfate mixture? I've found that with my fall California juices, I used grain spirits, and I noticed that it somehow gets a little into the wine and negatively affects the taste. Any ideas what I can do to prevent this or if I should just use a different fluid in my airlock?

2.)My retailer, Maltose Express, in Monroe, CT, was awesome in giving me a crash course in the wine making process... However, with alot of reading, I have noticed that other people add different things to their wines that i am unfamiliar with. Basically, I add pectic enzyme during primary and of course I use an appropriate yeast. I sterilize everything with Potassium Metabisulfate dissolved in water. I've never used Campden or any sulfite additives, or anything as an anti-oxidizing agent, and I am concerned I may be missing some steps. Again, any advice would be appreciated!

Thats all for now...Look forward to interacting with many of you!

Welcome Joe, Im down here in Middlebury. Sulfites should be added to keep your wine from oxidizing after fermentation has completed and also to keep any bacteria at bay in your wines. I use the k meta solution in my airlocks but what you are using is fine and cant see how getting a very small amount of even grain spirits could affect a 5 gallon volume of wine myself. Look forward to more conversations with you, we have a few Ct'ers hew and a few of them are pretty close to you in Norwalk.

2.)My retailer, Maltose Express, in Monroe, CT, was awesome in giving me a crash course in the wine making process... However, with alot of reading, I have noticed that other people add different things to their wines that i am unfamiliar with. Basically, I add pectic enzyme during primary and of course I use an appropriate yeast. I sterilize everything with Potassium Metabisulfate dissolved in water. I've never used Campden or any sulfite additives, or anything as an anti-oxidizing agent, and I am concerned I may be missing some steps. Again, any advice would be appreciated!

Thats all for now...Look forward to interacting with many of you!
JoeMic: Welcome to the great hobby of wine making, and our wonderful little forum.

Today's course work for you. Campden is a tablet containg potassium meta-bisulfite (occasionally sodium meta-bisulfite), aka K-meta. K-meta is a sanitizing agent (probably that's what you have been using and sulfate is a spelling mistake or mis-understanding) and an anti-oxidant.

Methodology. Everybody does things differently (ask 10 winemakers the same question and you'll get 12 different answers). Some winemakers refuse to put sulfites in their wine, and are very happy with the results. Most winemakers add sulfites as an anti-oxidant to give their wines shelf life, especially when making high quality, full bodied reds that will benefit from aging.

Steve

thanks already for the information guys!
You learn something new everyday!
As far as the sulfites...Is it something I can add now in my fall batch or have I already missed my window of opportunity? Same goes with the Chilean's I guess...
Further, does adding or not adding it have any affect on my timetable? I guess I planned on bottling last falls batch in or around October...
Finally, what is the proper amount per 5G.

To rewind a bit on the usage of grain in my airlocks. I don't taste it in my 5G carboys, only in my 1/2G, and it is pretty heavy... The 1/2G's at this point aren't needed for top off, just consumption when I get around to it!
Anything I can do to salvage that little bit or is the grain taste in for good...?

As fas as adding the sulfites to any wine it is best to add it as soon as your wine has finished fernting as long as you are not going to do a MLF (malo lactic fermentation) on your wine which is not recommended on any kit wine just so you know but will make a fresh juice or wine from grapes wine much smoother by turning the malic acid in your wine into lactic acid, this is usually very beneficial for almost ant red wine and also Chardonays. Sulfites can be added at any time and even right before bottling, the reason we say its best right after fermentation is to prevent any oxidizing at all. The proper amount of sulfite is 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallon batch. As far as your 1/2 gallons go that taste of the grain will dissapear when you add it all back to your wine right before bottling it all.

Too funny... another hello from another Joe from CT!

Joined the forum this evening. Will save any questions until I can get a bit more info under my belt. I'm in Southington, CT.

Its about time you CT'ers come out as we have to many PA'ers here and we need to have a smack down! LOL It would be cool if you new guys check out our "Map" and include yourself in there. Here is the link below for the Map.
http://wineapp.michaelsouellette.com/

Its about time you CT'ers come out as we have to many PA'ers here and we need to have a smack down! LOL It would be cool if you new guys check out our "Map" and include yourself in there. Here is the link below for the Map.

LMAO... CT'ers are getting past the "don't ask don't tell"!

Last edited:

Wade, don't make me take you outside and have you kick my ***, 'cause I will and you will. Ha Ha Ha

Thought though.........wouldn't the PM in the airlock escape over time leaving just water?

Oh by the way welcome Joe

Wade, my batches are all fresh juices, no kits. I guess I need a run down on doing a MLF. Again, something I've heard of but wasn't taught about by my retailer. Im absolutely interested though if it will give me optimal taste.

As far as adding the sulfites, I will do that immediately. I have a bottle of Potassium Metabisulfite on hand that I use for sterilization... Im simply going to add 1/4 teaspoon to each of my 5G carboys, if I understand your direction properly.

Thanks again everyone, very happy I stumbled upon this site!

Joe

Joe. despite being from Wades state it is a pleasure to have you here. As you can see we are a very friendly group with a lot of information.

DJRockinSteve, is it more practical to use the grain alcohol? I am up for either. Just figured the grain would evaporate quicker. I had a close call a few weeks ago and my fluid level of grain in my airlock was dangerously close to being too low. Im not opposed to either option, just wondering what everyone's preference was...

As far as the k-meta goes dissolve the 1/4 tsp in a very small amount of water first just to be sure it dissolves and so that you dont introduce any extra 02 into your wine by stirring this in like crazy to be sure. Almost every red wine will benefit from MLF. All you have to do is buy the culture and add it as soon as its done fermenting ithout adding any sulfites first. It is a fermentation like before but nowhere near as active, youll basically just see small bubbles and light airlock action and it can take about 2-3 months sometimes. Here is a decent place to buy it and other supplies.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=WLP790

Welcome JoeMic, Good bunch of people with good knowleadge on this forum,Maltose is a very good place to source.Im not far from you.

Latest posts

Back