Heart Broken

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonH

Reaction score
While racking my peach wine, I broke my hydrometer of 7 years. Dropped a bucket full of soapy water on it. It was my only hydrometer. I never felt the need to buy a backup because it survived so long. 7 years of quality time together and now its over. I replaced it today. Then I went to dinner with a few friends and my buddy sat on the new one. Its a sad day for hydrometers.
:?

I RAISE a glass to you for the hydrometers funeral.::

OMG !
A double funeral !
That means TWO glasses raised.. hic hic..:sm

Your problem is that you only bought one replacement. Hydrometers are very lonely instruments and need to be purchased in pairs. They get lonely and eventually comit suicide. Keep them happy and buy in pairs- they seems to live forever.

it is threads like this that made me purchase a second one, lol! may i never have to use it!!!

I read somewhere that you should buy three. As soon as you get home, throw the first one on the ground and shatter it into a million pieces. You put the second one somewhere safe and use the third one.

I read somewhere that you should buy three. As soon as you get home, throw the first one on the ground and shatter it into a million pieces. You put the second one somewhere safe and use the third one.

roflmao!!!

Jason,

Do you understand you probably jinxed yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You read the other post that is one here about broken hydrometers, didn't you. :<

OMG !
A double funeral !
That means TWO glasses raised.. hic hic..:sm

I'm toasting the passing of mine now. Last week I thought, need to get another hydrometer. I didn't stop. If I had, it would have had a mate and would have been happy. I will get 2-3 on Monday or Tuesday. Can't take a chance of them being unhappy.

Good Idea Doug,

I'm telling you when one breaks another offers itself up but as long as you have three they all seem happy

Your problem is that you only bought one replacement. Hydrometers are very lonely instruments and need to be purchased in pairs. They get lonely and eventually comit suicide. Keep them happy and buy in pairs- they seems to live forever.

LOL !
So true...

Then I went to dinner with a few friends and my buddy sat on the new one. Its a sad day for hydrometers.
:?

Man, you even take your hydrometer to dinner. Lots of us have problems but you have gone too far!

Jason,

Do you understand you probably jinxed yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You read the other post that is one here about broken hydrometers, didn't you. :<

I did read the post and thought that it would never happen to us. We had so many good times together. Great batches, bad batches, and everything in between. I guess I'll take everyone's advice and buy 2 this time. I never thought it would come to this.

I feel for BOTh of U as nothing loke losing a good "friend" who has bee thru GOOD and BAD batches.. :(

So did you get an sg reading from your friend? My guess, he is still fermenting!::

Kinda like riding in the car "The Probe". Careful where you sit. Doug, I know what you mean about your hydrometer. Those plastic tubes arn't that sturdy. In one end out the other. It's a sick feeling just like as your truck door closes and you don't feel the same bulge in your pocket 'cause your keys are on the seat and the doors are locked. $iht!

Where's the spare, an hour away at home.

Today I dropped a can of pop on top of a gallon carboy. It the airlock and shot to the left. No damage thank goodness.

Yes everyone raise your glass to toast those past hydrometers and carboys. We will never forget.

Buy a refractometer! They have many advantages. Only $30 on ebay and it works great. You need to use a spreadsheet to calculate FG as the alcohol affects the readings but with the calculation it's just as accurate.

Plus you only have to take a few drops of a sample instead of a few ounces. And it's a lot easier to clean after you use it, and it never breaks!

It will probably pay for itself if you add up the amount of broken hydrometers over the years.

Oh NOOOO,,
another broken hyrometer thread..
I'm going to get my wife right now to put mine in a safe place so I can't find it for at least three days...
I think that is how long the curse lasts,,,

Latest posts

Back