Hazy/Cloudy Chardonnay after bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCorkery

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there!

So I've just bottled a batch of Cheeky Monkey Chardonnay and prior to the wine being bottled, it was clear with a little lees on the bottom. I racked it to a clean carboy thinking I was going to filter it. My super jet decided to have a meltdown so I just proceeded to enolmatic pump the wine into the bottles right away from the clean carboy.

For some reason, that clear Chardonnay is now cloudy in the bottle. Not heavy particulate cloudy, just like it's been shaken vigorously and it's now settling. Will it settle over time and is this just a result of it being bottled?

UPDATE: It looks like there's still sediment settling in the bottles. Can I then pour the bottles back into a carboy and filter the wine to clarify it?

Cheers!

20141207_142650.jpg

Last edited:
It would be best to pour it back into the carboy and let it settle and filter if necessary.

And that won't harm the wine at all? Loving my all in one wine pump by the way. Going to look for a filter to add to it to replace my super jet. It just makes things so much easier. Very difficult to find the barb adapters here though.

Like Steve says I t needs to go back in the carboy. When you have sediment inthe bottome of a carboy, you need to rack and let sit for a couple of weeks to make sure nothing else falls out.

And that won't harm the wine at all? Loving my all in one wine pump by the way. Going to look for a filter to add to it to replace my super jet. It just makes things so much easier. Very difficult to find the barb adapters here though.

Pm me as I sell the barb adapters just for that reason

Can I not just pour them back into the carboy and then filter and rebottle the wine? I don't have the luxury of allowing it a couple of weeks to settle.

The only issue Steve is that it takes a while to ship the stuff to me in Canada and our dollar is weak at the moment I need to find it asap

Can I not just pour them back into the carboy and then filter and rebottle the wine? I don't have the luxury of allowing it a couple of weeks to settle.

It should settle out within approx 24 -48 hours - how much time to you have ?

Steve are the filters used in a whole home housing reusable?

I don't recommend it - but others will keep it in a meta solution till they need it next time. I believe that they are cheap enough at 3 dollars that I will do several carboys at 1 time and then discard the filter.

Thinking of doing the same. Might even buy another all in one from you. How quickly could one be shipped to me in Toronto Canada?

Has anyone used ceramic membranes in filtering wine? If so, are they washable/reusable and do they work well?

Latest posts

Back