Cloudy wine!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephbain38

Reaction score
Hi all!!

I checked my wine today and it was completely clear... cleaned all my bottles ready, put in my filter to bottle it, half filled a bottle and the wine was really cloudy... what have I done wrong? If I have knocked the sediment at the bottom will it clear up if I leave it for a few days? Or should I order some bentonite just in case?

Many thanks 😊

I had a very odd experience with my most recent jalapeno wine. It was a three gallon batch and completely clear so I racked to one gallon jugs for bottling. I was not racking close to the bottom but the wine after racking clouded up completely. I was horrified but let the jugs settle for about an hour and the wine returned to crystal clear. It did the same thing in the bottle but again cleared beautifully. I have never had that happen before or since.

sounds like you disturbed the sediment. let it settle then rack leaving sediment behind then bottle
That's great thank you! It's my first time so everything is new and I didn't realise I only needed to put the filter in slowly and so I knocked the clip which disturbed the sediment! Schoolboy error but a mistake I will not make again... hopefully!!
Thanks again! 😊

I had a very odd experience with my most recent jalapeno wine. It was a three gallon batch and completely clear so I racked to one gallon jugs for bottling. I was not racking close to the bottom but the wine after racking clouded up completely. I was horrified but let the jugs settle for about an hour and the wine returned to crystal clear. It did the same thing in the bottle but again cleared beautifully. I have never had that happen before or since.
Thank you!! I am finding this site so informative. Everything is new to me and I knew I would make mistakes but felt so disheartened after knowing it was clear only to see it really cloudy!

Thanks again ☺

Latest posts

Back