Hate to admit this!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmmii

Reaction score
It looks like I need to cut back.

After starting into this hobby in 2011 I have been eagerly awaiting every possible juice harvest time. This one came too soon and I won't be able to get anything new.

Work, life, other hobbies, getting rid of a crazy ex (whew!!!), weddings with friends and my sister, my mom passing away, and house projects got me. I am hoping to get a bunch bottled this weekend, in the mean time I can hardly use my laundry room!

I used to stick with about 3 buckets a harvest and kicked it up a year ago to 6-8 and again in the spring I'm burnt out. I got out of brewing beer because I had trouble finding an entire day to dedicate to brewing all grain, wine was awesome, an hour here and there. It's gotten past that.

My point of this post- what are any time saving methods you guys know? It looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the all in one wine pump, I'm sure that will help, what else am I missing?

Anyone notice a cut off of when it goes from manageable to not?

I know that the Allinonewinepump will definitely reduce your winemaking time and you will not be sore in the morning from lifting carboys or leaning over and filling bottles.

I also like the carboy cleaner - a real time saver -

Here is a bottle washer / santizer - a real time saver !
http://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/pressurized-bottle-washer-sanitizer/

and look on my facebook page as I show how I use a restaurant dishwasher rack in carrying bottles from stage to stage - eliminating the use of the tree and all.

I have found the hobby is busy at times, but nothing that can't be done in a half day; crush,press,transfer,rack, bottle. In between some tasting, topping, testing, all of which is an hour or two. What's nice is there are few panic activities; most things can wait a day or two.

The AllinOne is a huge time saver for me. Like NorCal said, most things require an hour or two (sometimes less than that). September and April are a little busy, as I'm getting caught up on bottling to free up carboys. Other than that, its a half day to a day each for crush (which in my case involves a road trip, not a ton of work), and press. But that first 7-10 days starting at crush feels pretty busy. Work keeps getting in the way. ;)

winemaking is really my only "hobby". I save time by making the winemaking also a center of my social life. I you need to visit someone, and this takes away from winemaking, then why not ask them to participate in it? This kills two birds with one stone.

A lot of times, chores in winemaking are an excuse for a get-together.

winemaking is really my only "hobby". I save time by making the winemaking also a center of my social life. I you need to visit someone, and this takes away from winemaking, then why not ask them to participate in it? This kills two birds with one stone.

A lot of times, chores in winemaking are an excuse for a get-together.

+1

My neighbors like to visit on bottling day, I give them something to do like wiping down the bottles after filling and applying labels or tags, carrying bottles from the kitchen sink to the wine area etc. They enjoy it, they get wine and they get to visit.

I'm new to all this, 2nd year, and I enjoy the hands on time in making wine. How many more years will I enjoy this. ;)

The AllinOne is a huge time saver for me. Like NorCal said, most things require an hour or two (sometimes less than that). September and April are a little busy, as I'm getting caught up on bottling to free up carboys. Other than that, its a half day to a day each for crush (which in my case involves a road trip, not a ton of work), and press. But that first 7-10 days starting at crush feels pretty busy. Work keeps getting in the way. ;)

I have used the AIO on few occasions and totally love it!
This year was our first using grapes so did find it to be busy.
Lastly I keep saying that "work" is a four letter word. [emoji1]

Steve

After starting into this hobby in 2011 I have been eagerly awaiting every possible juice harvest time. This one came too soon and I won't be able to get anything new.

Work, life, other hobbies, getting rid of a crazy ex (whew!!!), weddings with friends and my sister, my mom passing away, and house projects got me. I am hoping to get a bunch bottled this weekend, in the mean time I can hardly use my laundry room!

I used to stick with about 3 buckets a harvest and kicked it up a year ago to 6-8 and again in the spring I'm burnt out. I got out of brewing beer because I had trouble finding an entire day to dedicate to brewing all grain, wine was awesome, an hour here and there. It's gotten past that.

My point of this post- what are any time saving methods you guys know? It looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the all in one wine pump, I'm sure that will help, what else am I missing?

The biggest time saver for me has to be the allinone wine pump, second is the bottle washer setup Steve has. I can wash/sanitize 72 bottles in under an hour.

The one piece of equipment that I would replace tomorrow if something happens to mine it the allinone.

I may have to cut back but it's because I am running out of space. I am approaching 1000 bottles and making it much faster than I am drinking it.

I either have to start giving away more or make less.

I think the fall and spring harvests are times that you can feel a bit overwhelmed. Anytime I start to feel like I have too much to do, I remind myself that it's a hobby not a job. :)

I agree on the bottling party, I need to throw one when the twelve carboys and primaries that are in my kitchen are ready!

My only time-saving advice is to stagger the work and do a little at a time. Like if I have eight things to rack I'll do two at a time so the cleaning doesn't get overwhelming and I don't get behind. That makes each bit an hour or so and I am more likely to do it more often.

I may have to cut back but it's because I am running out of space. I am approaching 1000 bottles and making it much faster than I am drinking it.

I either have to start giving away more or make less.

I'll take a few hundred...if it will help!

The biggest time saver for me has to be the allinone wine pump, second is the bottle washer setup Steve has. I can wash/sanitize 72 bottles in under an hour.

The one piece of equipment that I would replace tomorrow if something happens to mine it the allinone.

Pretty sold. I am looking at bottle fillers also. Worth the 500 bucks?

I'm new to all this, 2nd year, and I enjoy the hands on time in making wine. How many more years will I enjoy this. ;)

I'm guessing it's a little different for everyone but I plan on doing this for a long long time. I'll keep it small enough to keep it manageable (my name's Mike and I can quit anytime I want) and also keep it a hobby and not a job. I visited a "backyard" co-op kind of operation during bottling a couple months ago. They were bottling the 2014 batch of 8 tons of grapes, about 30-40 people involved, top notch equipment, entire 3 car garage and lower floor of the home dedicated to making and aging their wine, approx 20 full size barrels.

I was struck by the amount of angst and lack of joy I sensed from the owner of the whole operation. I learned about a month ago that he told everyone involved that his sources weren't able to supply any grapes this year so no wine for the group. I think maybe if he had kept it to just family and some close friends he would have been making wine again this year.

Mike

Last edited:

Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: Depends on how much you are making. For me, since I brew beer and make wine, the ability to bottle easily and move wine without lifting carboys is invaluable. Degassing under vacuum is a wonderful bonus. If you are making a batch or two a year, then perhaps the money would be better spent on grapes or fruit. If you are like many of us here who brew or make wine as much as we can, then Steve's products are an excellent investment.

Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: Depends on how much you are making. For me, since I brew beer and make wine, the ability to bottle easily and move wine without lifting carboys is invaluable. Degassing under vacuum is a wonderful bonus. If you are making a batch or two a year, then perhaps the money would be better spent on grapes or fruit. If you are like many of us here who brew or make wine as much as we can, then Steve's products are an excellent investment.

If the all in one makes life that much easier I may go to 4-6 batches every 6 months.

Degassing under vacuum is a big selling point as well.

I can tell you that on the reviews there are alot of people who do alot more than you do.

I can give you links to them once I get home on a normal computer.

If you want you can PM me and I can call you and answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Not sure about a bottle filler for the home brewer. But the allinone has the bottle filling attachment. I have done 72 bottles in one batch by myself using the allinone, lost less than a tablespoon due to overflow and all the bottles were filled exactly the same.

Back