Has anyone made white wine witnout skins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wzazdzez

Reaction score
I'm making scuppernong, which is a white muscadine. I just started it and I'm leaving the skins out. Has anyone left the skins out on white wines and what does it do if you leave them out? _______________"There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

Thanks Grapeman, I new it seemed like the right thing to do cause the inside of scuppernongs are sweet and wonderful, but the skins, not so much. --------------"There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

wzazdzez,

In the tutorial section of this forum we have some great entries on how to make white wine. Give it a few minutes of your time and you won't regret it. It will make wine making even more fun, when you see and understand the steps.

Enjoy.

Thanks Robie, I'll have to check that out. Also, I understand that skins should be taken out of a sweet white wine, but should you leave some in when makeing a dry white. ---------------"There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

Thanks Robie, I'll have to check that out. Also, I understand that skins should be taken out of a sweet white wine, but should you leave some in when makeing a dry white. ---------------"There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

Normally, before you start fermenting any white wine, sweet or dry, ALL skins are removed by pressing the grapes to extract just the juice.

This was not always the case in the past, but it is pretty much the norm now. I am sure you could find some exceptions, but not very often. As Grapeman said, the skins add things to the wine that are not typically considered an advantage for whites. Red wines are completely the opposite. Since most grapes have only clear juice, the red color comes from leaving the juice, pulp and skins together until the color bleeds into the juice.

One popular style of rose fall somewhere in the middle; the juice is left on the skins for a short time, then pressed off. (Tonight I will be starting a rose from fresh Zinfandel grapes. After the juice has set on the skins for a short time and has taken on a light, rose color, I'll drain off about 3 gallons of that juice and make a slightly blush colored, dry, hopefully nice rose.)

I am currently making two white kits that came with raisin packs (I know not quite the same topic). So far I can tell you the color is darker and the samples have been deeper and smoother to this point. I am loving the taste of both kits so far and the are a long way from being bottled. Also, both will be lightly oaked. :try

Are they both Chardonnay? I've never heard of any other white being oaked.

Debbie

Are they both Chardonnay? I've never heard of any other white being oaked.

Debbie

One is a MM Chardonnay and one is a MM Pinot Grigio Mondiale I am going to run the Pinot in the barrel for very short time maybe just a few weeks in will be the third run for the barrel. The kit did include some oak but I did not use it.

Last edited:
I never use skins in ANY whites! That can lead to excessive tannins and mute the fruitiness whites are known for.

Also, I let let the juice settle until the next day and rack the clear juice off of the sediment before starting the fermentation. This gets the juice separated from the little bits of skin and stem that make it through the crush and press.

Back