Second wine with white juice/red skins…

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbu50

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever make a second wine using red pressed skins and pouring white juice on top to ferment?

I’m wondering about what the colour would be like.

And, also wondering about what white juice would go well with varieties of pressed red skins.

Cheers!

Not exactly, ,,, what I do is take a juice like apple or rhubarb and use it to wash out the good stuff as tannin in crab apples. At the minimum you will have a rose with tannic notes. I was surprised when in bulking my first crop 10% of PetitePearl (a tannic red) steeped with 90% white juices ,, the 10% made the batch taste like a tannic red wine.

Last edited:
Anybody ever make a second wine using red pressed skins and pouring white juice on top to ferment?

I’m wondering about what the colour would be like.

And, also wondering about what white juice would go well with varieties of pressed red skins.

Cheers!
I have and just use the white grape juice from Lidl. It comes out a lighter color but still red. It tends to be low sugar and pH so you may check that. I currently use about half white grape juice and half water/sugar/tartaric acid (1 gal : 2 lbs : 2 tsp) for my second runs and am happy with the results.

I make second run wines using water + sugar + tannin + acid, with a ratio of 1 gallon water for 2 gallons wine taken from the pomace.

How hard the pomace is pressed will make a huge difference -- if you press lightly, you're going to get a fairly dark wine. If you press hard, there's less "oomph" left in the pomace, so you'll get a lighter wine. Probably darker than a rose, but that will also depend on the juice : pomace ratio.

Viognier is blended with Syrah in the Rhône, in Italy Pinot Grigio (Ramato) is fermented in contact with skins. These are two techniques that you could try with using pressed skins and fresh juice.

Latest posts

Back