Skin Contact White without Oxidation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinTG

Reaction score
This year, we are going to try a skin contact white (Pinot Gris). We'd like to keep the grapes on the skins for up to 4 days but are not interested in the "oxidative" style. However, we are using our closed-top fermentation vessel for a traditional wine and don't have access to another.

So my question is, does the same logic of how CO2 produced by fermentation protects red wine apply to whites as well?

More generally, does anyone have experience with open air fermenting a skin contact white for 3-5 days?

Yep, you'll be fine. It'll look brown at the start (depending on your SO2 additions or lack of) but it'll go brite after fermentation. Keep an eye on it after you press. I've had issues with H2S pressing white when i pull them off the skins during fermentation.

yeah, i've done chardonnay 1 week on skins and Sauv Blanc with a day on skins no issues being orange. i had the same thoughts as you are having though :)

I have processed my Pinot Gris grapes as skin contact wine both in 60 L closed "reductive" and 230 L open (but covered with a plastic tarp) "oxidative" vats. They do create slightly different wines, but generally the results are similar.

Either way, you have to vigorously punch down the cap several times a day, so never fully "reductive" as possible with typical white wines. And so I suggest to use a large mouth open container either way to make that easier. I find 'stirring' far less effective than punching down and from my own modest experience "stirring only" may increase the chance of wine faults.

I have left the skins on the grapes up to 10 or 14 days. The length of time will affect the final wine's color profile since Pinot Gris really is a 'grey' grape with far more pigment in the skins than other white grape varietals. Example, photo below of my 2022 Pinot Gris left on the skins for 10 days.

Hope this helps.

DSC01697_copy.jpg

Last edited:
I've been wanting to try Pinot Gris on the skins. Are you liking what you get from the skins on Pinot gris?

Are you liking what you get from the skins on Pinot gris?
Yes. I actually now prefer it to white wine from Pinot Gris. But my tastes may differ from others. And it may be an acquired taste. And it creates a completely different wine.

My aroma / flavor profile of my wine is as follows from most dominate to least (and can vary between years and skin contact time):

- Fruit - Dried prunes
- Earthy - Mushrooms
- Herbaceous - Tobacco
- Chemical - Petroleum

My wife would add or replace some of the above with (tastes differ):

- Woody - Medicinal

Hope this helps

Unfortunately, I just heard our pinot gris "didn't make sugar" and aren't shipping.

We have 44 lugs of chardonnay coming that will go to a 225L barrel. There is extra, but I'm not sure enough to do an orange wine experiment. We'll see how hard we press.

Hopefully next year I'll be able to try.

Latest posts

Back