Guns

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the old days when I could hunt on farm land, and still own guns, I like to use my Rem. 7mm mag for my typical hunting gun. With our deer and hogs, if you got a good lung hit, you would find them.
I also really enjoyed using a Thompson Contender single shot pistol that was chamber for 35 Remington.
I took a few good wild hogs with it. I enjoyed the late in the evening fireball that it had when fired off.
Those were the good ole days. At one time we had 9000 acres leased to farm on and my brother and I were the only real "HUNTER'S" on the parcel. The other guys went out looking, hoping to see something to shoot at.
My brother still hunts, a lot. Two trips to Canada for black bear, one to South Dakota for a buffalo, let alone the turkeys and deer around here in Florida.

Hi Mud!Ive shot the S&W airweight the 38 cal titanium,its similar I think to letting off an m200 in the palm of ur hand,not a very comfortable piece to shoot.

What about ur carry gun?Ive got a cz 9mm the p-07 duty,its a nice gun handles very well and accurate,but a little too big for an in the pants conceal.I bought one of those molded plastic paddlewheel holsters for it and its fine with a baggy sweatshirt or jacket.I tell you I'd like to have a s&w chiefs special in a 38,but if I buy any guns right now she'll have me drawn and quartered.

My carry gun is a Para-Ordnance Tac-Four. It's a double action 1911 style. Holds 13+1. It's too heavy to be comfortable, and too big. Once some money falls from the sky I'd like to get something smaller. 'Course, my carry permit expired a week ago and I forgot to renew, so it's a non-issue.

-shall issue state resident Mud

My carry gun is a Para-Ordnance Tac-Four. It's a double action 1911 style. Holds 13+1. It's too heavy to be comfortable, and too big. Once some money falls from the sky I'd like to get something smaller. 'Course, my carry permit expired a week ago and I forgot to renew, so it's a non-issue.

-shall issue state resident Mud

If your LTCF expired a week ago, I beleive it is still valid for 6 months (not positive on the time frame) go get it renewed but in the mean time carry on.

I'll get you the time frame they are good for.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

If you were legally licenced to carry a firearm under 6109 of the UFA you are still legal even though your license expired for a period of 6 months after expiration based on the above exception.

Last edited:
Those calibers are nuts in those little guns. Ever fire a Smith & Wesson Airweight in .357? It feels like trying to pound a 16d nail into a 2x4 held in your palm. Can't imagine what a big bore in snub nose is like, but I'd try it.

Mud,
The Alaskan is substantial in weight, it really absorbs a LOT of the recoil. I was very nervous the first time I fired it and was pleasantly surprised with it.

i, too, came across this thread while doing some searching...
i don't even know what all we've got...i can't keep up with their likes/dislikes for our various hunting activities.
the only one i'll list is mine...a 20g. belgian browning that hubby got me for anniversary one year! (i do shoot my hubby's 30-30 for deer season. it cannot be classified as mine as it has been used for 3 generations and will hopefully go to my grandchild one day...)

Missed those last 2 posts aimed my way. Thanks ffemt128. Had no idea about that. I've since renewed it, but will file that away for future reference.

Darren, I'll admit to not having shot anything heavier than a 44 mag in a 4" barrel. I'm not recoil shy (although I am sometimes report shy) and didn't have a problem with it, but assumed anything bigger would get difficult to hang onto. Guess they'd have to be reasonable or they really wouldn't sell.

Just picture the ER visit..."Please sir, explain again how a grizzly managed to embed that hammer spur into your forehead." :)

Last edited:
I will have been in Alaska 31 years in just a couple weeks.

I was thinking about buying a gun.

Do they make safe ones?

Cause, this trying to outrun bears is really taking a toll on my knees.

Please advise.

LMAO!

never saw this post but now that it has come back to life I guess I will chime in cause I love guns too...

45 acp 1911- everyday carry.

AK-47

marlin 336 30-30

moss 500 12ga

savage 11 30-06

glock 17 - nightstand gun

and sid to answer your question, yes they are all safe, all guns are as safe as their handlers.

if you need to fend off a bear I would suggest a lever action 45-70.

Actualy, I really likew that lever 45-70 my buddy had with him last year, that is a strong powerful bad a$$ gun. I thnk it was a Marlin.

He also had a 444, I am pretty sure that was a Marlin. No neck all gunpowder and big a$$ bullet. Also a lever action, real short barrel.

It would be bad to have to choose between them, ifin I was given the choice.

They both seem like excelent guns for a short distance especially if the bullet was to needto move some brush out of the way on its path to the target.

Certainly not good for any distance, but son of a gun, either one of those cartriges will kick some but at less than 50 yards!

The most important part of gun safety is the part that is always overlooked.
Start training the kids early and often. And make certain they know that bullets not only poke holes in paper, but in living things too, they they're not living things any more.
It's a shame that too much is put on not ever letting kids see, touch, shoot or even think about guns.
That's why I think that the kids in the citys are always having problems versus the country kids.
When a country kid shoots someone, he normally flipped out and meant to do it. It wasn't no accident.

The most important part of gun safety is the part that is always overlooked.
Start training the kids early and often. And make certain they know that bullets not only poke holes in paper, but in living things too, they they're not living things any more.
It's a shame that too much is put on not ever letting kids see, touch, shoot or even think about guns.
That's why I think that the kids in the citys are always having problems versus the country kids.
When a country kid shoots someone, he normally flipped out and meant to do it. It wasn't no accident.

ur right here...
when my son was younger, we went to a DU greenwing event and the conservation officer that was teaching the gun safety portion had a cool way of showing these kids something...he took a shaving cream can and had one of the kids shoot a target...then he looked at the kids and said "now someone, put that back in the can..."

the person behind the gun is the only safety any gun really has, having carried one for five years now I can say that you can have as many external safeties as you want but they are no match for the sheer stupidity of some people, never underestimate what idiots can accomplish to do.

most of my carry experience is with a g-17 no external safety, draw aim squeeze... never had a problem. taught both of my sisters to shoot handguns and a few friends and my girlfriend. no problems.

to say that it starts with the kid and education is correct. I will venture to say (much to the chagrin of most guys) that women make better shooters and students when it comes to the range. reason being is that women tend to
a) have more healthy fear and respect for what a gun does.
b) therefore they pay very close attention to detail and listen intently when you start to give safety rules.
c) will control their breathing better and will be absolutely sure of their shot when engaging a trigger.

the same goes for any new shooter, and even the experienced guys need to be reminded once in a while mostly because some become so comfortable with firearms that they forget the basics.

when it comes down to it, when choosing a gun be sure that it is the right one for you, not because it was in a movie or your friend has it or any other reason other than it is comfortable for you, that it fits your hand or shoulder and frame.

be sure that the cartridge is within your ability to handle the recoil, i told my girlfriend that even though I don't think of a .380 as a self defense gun I do not think it is powerful enough that if that is what she is comfortable shooting then that is what she needs, because five holes is better than none.

when it comes to bears, in this situation, I think that the 45-70 from marlin is the way to go. it is more than accurate enough to hunt out to 150-200 yards depending upon comfort level and experience. it is more than powerful enough for a bear. most importantly when choosing a defensive weapon, it allows for a reasonable fast follow up shot. because I know I can kill paper, however a ticked off bear charging me is going to have a lot more adrenaline rushing through me than paper. and the offhand shot in that situation is going to be stressful to say the least. one last thing, remember, aim big miss big. if you take a head shot and miss thats a bad situation you are left in, if you miss by four or so inches, if you miss center of mass by four inches on a charging bear you have still made him seriously reconsider his current choice of action.

Proper safety can't be stressed enough. You just never know what someone else is going to do, so you have to do everything right.

I was in a bathroom at a bar once and 2 guys walked in. Patron 1 was showing Patron 2 a small automatic that he was carrying and handed it to him. Patron 2 immediately shoved the gun in his mouth. I thought I was going to watch a suicide. Turns out he was screwing around, but that gun was loaded with one in the chamber.

A few years back they had a video on the news showing,,, and I mean no offense to any we have on the forum here,,,
an all mighty LEO who explained to all the students in the class he was talking to,,, in a vary arragant tone,,,
that he was the only one in the room qualified to handle a firearm,,
were as he proceeded to take his pistol and have an accidental discharge and shoot himself in the foot!
This was in an elementary class room full of students.
Needless to say, his supervisor had a discussion with him.
It brought back the one simple rule that I was taught from the very beginning, when you put the sights on something, plan as if you know that you are about to kill it.
If you have no intention of killing it, don't point the gun at it.
After that is a natural instinct,,,
target shooting is just simple fun.
I know two people who by mistake blew up their televisions and two who while hunting were accidentally shot. One lived, one didn't.
So yes, we are the only true safety on the firearm.

Says in the link that the issue has been resolved. That's good.

what do they mean resolved?

I trust none of those rat bastards in DC... when will they try to weasel this or something like it back in?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back