Guess I have 10 gallons of Port.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjames23

Reaction score
I purchased two Italian Merlot juice buckets at the beginning of the month. It is now been almost 28 days and fermentation seems to of stopped at 1.038.
I've added yeast nutrient, tannins, and nothing seems to work. I may have to hit it with some EC – 1118 and see if I can get things bubbling again.
Possibly my air conditioning unit is to blame. As it has dropped to 68°F in my basement.

Oh. My SG when I got the buckets was a very low 1.040. I chaptalized it back up to 1.090. It may very well have already started fermentation before I purchased it.
Worst case scenario...I have more port for winter.
Too bad I don't know of some way to cheaply test for started fermentations.
Maybe I'll stick to buying my juice buckets on the second Wednesday of the month when they come in fresh.

Yes. I still have that cask that I intend on opening in 2015. Remember.
Fingers crossed that I don't end up with another one. Getting low on red wine. Was really hoping this Italian merlot would be ready by next harvest.

Bugger, sounds like it is possible that it already fermented some by the time you got it... Still blows... Port would not be a bad idea

Sounds like you had fermentation already well underway when you started. Port it is!

Were these frozen?

They were not frozen. They were on sale at Vin Bon. Two 5 gallon buckets for $80.
Now I know why they were on sale. Lol.
I'll let it ferment to dry (in this case "wet") and see what I end up with.
Right now it tastes like a sweet Tawny.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the Italian harvest in the fall? Were these buckets sitting around since then?

I believe the grapes are of Italian origin but grown right here in Ontario. They were probably harvested last fall and frozen to meet year round demands.
Namely the reason I usually don't make wine in the summer. The must gets a little sketchy.

Latest posts

Back