Grape pack vr. Raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

Reaction score
Hi All!!!
Lets try a new philosophical debate....

I have only been making wine for a year... and I have only made kits with raisins, grape skins and with plain juice. also, all of my wine is to young to drink... I do have a couple of VN kits that I have tried(to thin for my palate). I have not made a kit with a grape pack... but I will make one soon!!!!

So, lets hear it... pros and cons of raisins, grape skins, grape packs and plain juice!!!!
Which of the above make the best/worst quality wine and why!!!!!

Tallyho the fox,

Darryl, I have no idea. Mine are too young to tell. I will look forward to responses to your question.
smiley1.gif

COME ON guys!!!!!
I know some of yall have made this kits!!!!!!!!! I'm need some feedback so I can decid which kits I want to try to blind with...

well i have never made a kit with a rasin fpac or grape skins,but i have made fresh juice with both and just grapes,and i have found that rasins add a little more body to the wine,but you need to be very care full on how and where in the process you use them,skins on the other hand add tannins and color,the tannins impart some body and so do the skins,once again knowing when and how much as well as how long comes into play,and that comes with trial and error,.............taste is the biggest teacher.......in my experience.............

I have made many kits with grape packs and even1 with both grape pack and raisin pack(RJS E.P. Amarone) and I love them, I havent tried any big reds without a pack that I liked as like you said they all seem very thin. Im a little confused though as you state in your first post here that you have only made kits with grape packs, raisin kits and plain juice, is that a misprint?

wade said:
I have made many kits with grape packs and even1 with both grape pack and raisin pack(RJS E.P. Amarone) and I love them, I havent tried any big reds without a pack that I liked as like you said they all seem very thin. Im a little confused though as you state in your first post here that you have only made kits with grape packs, raisin kits and plain juice, is that a misprint?

Hi Wade,
Thanks for the response! I have only made kits with raisins and juice consentrate!!! I made a R J super tuscan kit with dried merlot skins... but all are to young, so I don't have any data on them yet(taste, body and if I like them). I have not made a kit with a grape pack!! I plan on doing a CC cab I don't know which one and a merlot, I don't know which one????
I hope that helps,

joeswine said:
well i have never made a kit with a rasin fpac or grape skins,but i have made fresh juice with both and just grapes,and i have found that rasins add a little more body to the wine,but you need to be very care full on how and where in the process you use them,skins on the other hand add tannins and color,the tannins impart some body and so do the skins,once again knowing when and how much as well as how long comes into play,and that comes with trial and error,.............taste is the biggest teacher.......in my experience.............

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the help!!! I will have to make a couple of kits with the grape pack and wait...
thanks,

HI all....
Do any of yall know where you can get a Cab Franc kit... George does not have one for sale. Do any of the manuf. even offer one???
Thanks for the help,

Darryl said:
HI all....
Do any of yall know where you can get a Cab Franc kit... George does not have one for sale. Do any of the manuf. even offer one???
Thanks for the help,
Do an internet search for WE Selection Original Cabernet Franc.

Darryl said:
wade said:

Hi Wade,
Thanks for the response! I have only made kits with raisins and juice consentrate!!! I made a R J super tuscan kit with dried merlot skins... but all are to young, so I don't have any data on them yet(taste, body and if I like them). I have not made a kit with a grape pack!! I plan on doing a CC cab I don't know which one and a merlot, I don't know which one????
I hope that helps,

Check out the CC Red Mountain Cab and the CC Washington Merlot, I have not tried them but have heard a lot of positive feedback.
VC

vcasey said:
Darryl said:
HI all....
Thanks for the help,
Do an internet search for WE Selection Original Cabernet Franc. Found it on sale at Grapestompers.

Thanks VC!!
I will check it out....

"......taste is the biggest teacher.......in my experience............."

ditto what Joe said....

I was didn't even look on FVWs since he said George did not carry any, my mistake, but he does indeed have the RQ listed and it will be available in April. Between the 2, I would try and get on the list for that one. My experience says the wait is worth it for any of the limited editions from all the wine kit makers.
VC

appleman said:
George does offer Cab Franc for sale.If George -whosponsors this site- offers something we should not provide links to his competition. Please keep this in mind.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=24355

I haven't checked extensively, but I know he has offered several in the past.

Hi Rich,
I buy all my stuff form George!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did notice that kit... but I was looking for one that has a grape pack or skins!!!!!!!
thanks,

vcasey said:
I was didn't even look on FVWs since he said George did not carry any, my mistake, but he does indeed have the RQ listed and it will be available in April. Between the 2, I would try and get on the list for that one. My experience says the wait is worth it for any of the limited editions from all the wine kit makers.
VC
VC I have 2 of the RQ's comming... but it is a blend....
Thanks,

Darryl, Ive done many of the RJS kits with grape packs and if they are dried or wet they are still grape packs, I have done both though and the kit you have aging is a very very good kit! If for any reason you dont like it let me know how much shipping of those bottles to my house is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wade said:
Darryl, Ive done many of the RJS kits with grape packs and if they are dried or wet they are still grape packs, I have done both though and the kit you have aging is a very very good kit! If for any reason you dont like it let me know how much shipping of those bottles to my house is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Wade,
I bottled it on October 15th... after bulking it for 100 days... I was going to let it age for 6 months, but I had to bottle early because of my surgery that I had on NOv. 9th... I plan on having a taste in May, 2010. I can't wait!!!!
Thanks,

Latest posts

Back