Grape Berry Moth?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Violante

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I might have GBM. I’ve been spraying with manzate and stylet oil until fruit set, and now with just stylet oil. A local grape farmer says to use Seven, but I’m concerned about using that with honey bees near by.

BC290FDE-F002-439A-B7CE-C3985AA103E2.jpeg6685D815-F3D6-4C15-88BC-5894292ACEEF.jpegF1AC0C82-EBE6-49D6-809C-47CAB0583FF6.jpegE96C02E6-D283-4D82-BC1C-5E53A03B7589.jpeg

The organic suggestion from VineSmith for lowest toxicology to bees is BT (Dipel). Not as good as Sevin of course. If you use the garden Sevin you can spray in the evening after the bees go back to the hive.

yes dipel will kill the maggots and leave bees alone. It isn't cheap and you may have to use it 2 or 3 times between rainfalls. If you can't find it look for "bacillus thuringiensis"
What chemicals, organic or otherwise are cheap? On the other hand, is anything cheap these days?

Before we descend into darkness; a recession was inevitable after a worldwide pandemic.

To be fair, vineyard chems have always been costly.

I think I have a solution...
  1. Stylet Oil Spray now since I have it.
  2. DiPel arrives this weekend and I'll spray since the moths are flying and will contact it directly (and it is honey bee friendly).
  3. Trichogramma Ostriniae arrives next Wednesday and I'll release them over the next two weeks to control eggs before they hatch and burrow into the berries.
  4. Alternate the DiPel and Trichogramma to control the life cycle stages I missed up until now.
  5. Somewhere in there still use Stylet Oil for fungus, mold, etc...

Back