RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Gewurtztraminer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mississippi mud said:
my wife would not go for that .
smiley13.gif
Maybe she'll learn to live with it.
smiley4.gif

Wade -

Nice rack, er wooden shelf to hold wine. I notice that there do not appear to be any circular cutouts on the shelves for the top and bottom of the bottle to rest in. Do they roll around any if the shelf isn't full??

I just finished making my first rack, it holds 132 bottles, but its a 9 bottles shy of being full and I have about 75 bottles worth bulk aging that are almost ready to bottle. Yours looks quite a bit less labor intensive than the first one that I made.

Jim

Wade, your wine cellar turned out beautiful!! Love the "dress right dress" carboys filled with all that happiness!!
smiley36.gif

And the wine racks!! WOW.

Jim, I bought the self adhesive cabinet door bumpers and stuck them on the back part of the rack to prevent them from rolling around. Thanks Jim and UAV!

wade said:
Jim, I bought the self adhesive cabinet door bumpers and stuck them on the back part of the rack to prevent them from rolling around. Thanks Jim and UAV!

Wade -

Nifty idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Did you use oak or pine for the racks? I enjoy woodworking almost as much as winemaking.

Jim

Jim if you like woodworking, add 3/4x1" strips to separate the bottles and keep them from rolling. They are called ladder racks, because each shelf resembles a ladder before assmbling. Figure how far apart you need them for the length of shelves you have by placing two slats down, measure the space between and cut two spacers. Use them to get uniform spacing. I use a drop or two of glue and pin nails. Assembles a shelf in a matter of minutes. I takes a while to cut sand and finish though but they look real nice when done.

20080209_070634_2006-02-20_1720.jpg

All oak Jim, all rip pffs from tread stock at work so it didnt cost me a thing except time, stain, screws, and those little rubber bumpers.

Appleman - That is pretty much how I made my first rack, except I used 1/2 inch slats. It is also a double width rack and not as tall as yours. I did that so I could build one of those diamond type racks from oak plywood to sit on top when the weather warms up here in upstate NY.

Wade - you can't beat free lumber these days ... even cabinet grade pine has risen significantly.

OK, have to get off this computer .... I've got a MM Fresco Merlot and a RJS Orange Chocolate port to bottle today!

Jim

Wade -

I like your design, a lot less wood and a lot less labor intensive.

Jim

The one on the left is a Grand Cru Barolo thats been bulk aging for about 4 months and the one on the left is a Vintners Raspberry which has been bulk aging for about 6 months. [/QUOTE]

Wade.what is in the one on the left ?
smiley36.gif

You really went out of your way(way back in to posts) to bust on me! Thats funny, the 1 on the right is(was) the Vintners Raspberry.

Latest posts

Back