RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Gewurtztraminer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Picking up a Grand Cru Gewurtztraminer on Sat. To start. Any one ever
do this kit? It is a 10 liter kit but Ive heard their whites are pretty
darn good!

I've not done any of the GC series, but I do a fair bit of the Cru Select series. The GC Gewurtz is a favorite at my LHBS. He almost always has it listed at either #1 or #2 bestseller.

Wade, I have done a Gerwitz but I can't seem to put my fingers on my notes to tell you which kit it was. The labels I got are from the kit and it says a selection estate series, but I'm not possitive. We like the wine, not one of our everyday drinkers, but still very good, more citrucy than we care for.

Gewurtz. getting racked today!

20070402_163221_Racking.jpg

The outer two carboys are ready to rack as soon as I get off my lazy
butt! Just kidding Ive been busy building a cabinet and its almost
done! I just have to start staining and laquering! The one on the left
is a Grand Cru Barolo thats been bulk aging for about 4 months and the
one on the left is a Vintners Raspberry which has been bulk aging for
about 6 months.

Wade, where are the pictures of this elusive cabinet you keep taunting us with. We gotta see the wood before the finish is on and then after. Or were you with poor Waldo when he used his camera for an anchor?
smiley36.gif

You are starting to get some serious wine making going on. Time for a tasting party!

Ill take some pictures of it for ya but I gotta get some new batteries
as I just had enough juice to take these before it konked out!

Appleman, sorry, too busy and forgot to take the picture before I started staining yesterday and still need to lacquer it.

20070415_094422_Cabinet.jpg

Edited by: wade

I startedmy1stkit 9 days ago. I enjoyed it so much the next dayI pechased every thing to start the 2nd batch. Both are grand cru 1stnoir 2nd gris .The air lock has just about stoped and the sg is 1.0 it started at 1.09. Will it hurt any thing to rack now insted of .98 ?Renaissance unlimited chianti is next.It looks like the chianti will be more involved.Edited by: mississippi mud

Go ahead and rack. Most kits have you rack at that point anyway.

Thanks PeterZ the racking went great.Wade you've got a nice set up.I don't have a basement so I'm building asmallcellar in my garage.

Mississippi mud, thats an old picture before I re-did my basement, I
now have a whole room designed for making wine and a wine cellar.
20080111_190816_Wine_Room.jpg

This is the wine cellar, This room is now filled to capacity and I need more room.
20080111_191341_Basement_3.jpg

20080111_191532_Wine_Cellar_2.jpg

Please post before, during and after shots of your area in the wine cellar posting area so that others can get ideas.

Yes, and i add the extra 1/4 tsp of k-meta before bulk aging and then check the frre SO2 with a test kit before bottling to make sure its still in the safe range.

Latest posts

Back