Grand Cru Cab Sauv Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosa6329

Reaction score
So I just started this kit yesterday night with a reading of 1.085. The directions says to check back in two weeks. Should I be taking a reading every other day or at least a week into fermenting? If so, is it okay for me to open the bucket while its fermenting?

So I just started this kit yesterday night with a reading of 1.085. The directions says to check back in two weeks. Should I be taking a reading every other day or at least a week into fermenting? If so, is it okay for me to open the bucket while its fermenting?
Yes, it's OK to open the bucket while it's fermenting.

Some people will check the sg every day (maybe even twice a day). Personally, I prefer to leave it alone. Of course after a day or two, I do a visual/audio check to see if it's fermenting. If I'm concerned at that point I might check the sg or wait another day.

Steve

Yes, it's OK to open the bucket while it's fermenting.

Some people will check the sg every day (maybe even twice a day). Personally, I prefer to leave it alone. Of course after a day or two, I do a visual/audio check to see if it's fermenting. If I'm concerned at that point I might check the sg or wait another day.

Steve

Ok right now its only bubbling through the air lock once every 20 seconds. Is this normal that its not a rapid bubble?

Every batch will ferment differently. Yeast is from Mother nature and every packet even of the same yeast and in the same juice will ferment faster or slower.

Rosa, I made this Kit a little over a year ago. Followed the directions, mime fermented dry in 6 days. Did add oak chips in bulk aging, 6 mo., then bottled. Very good at 1+ years old. Roy

mine said to add the oak chips in the fermenting stage. It said to check back in 2 weeks but u said yours were done in 6 days, wow! So you let it sit in the carboy for 6 months then bottled it?

Also, it seems like my fermentation has taken off. Its bubbling every 2 seconds. Should I bother it to check the sg or let it go. If I check the sg should I give it a stir or leave it as is??

I put an air lock on the primary on the 6th day because it was SG .998. I left it in the prim. another 6 days to take advantage of the oak in the prim. Day 12 I racked off prim. at .994 into a carboy. Before the air lock I stirred 1-2 times a day, once under air lock I did not stir. I added the extra oak [my chips] after the 3rd racking. So their was about 6 weeks in "production" & 6 months in the carboy aging before bottling. I tend to bulk age my wines longer than most. Even my Apple & Peach are bulk aged 1 year before bottling. The Gran Cru would have been aged longer but I was out of Reds to drink! Roy

On the 19th my sg was at 1.050. Today, two days later its reading 1.020. Is it normal to drop that much in two days?

So my kit says check back on the 14th day when it's in the primary to see if the sg is.998 or lower to rack it. I think it's going to hit that number in 7 days or so. Is this okay?

Also I have a tea bag with oak chips in it. Since its drying a lot faster than it said what should I do about that.? Did it sit long enough to get the oak flavor,?

I'd rack now or first thing in AM, I like it under airlock when it's that low. Roy

its been under an airlock the entire time. So I will rack it now and top it off with another bottle of cab and leave about two inches from the top?

I would check it again tomorrow to see if it is still dropping. Most of us wait 'til it stays the same for 3 days in a row before we rack. IMO

Latest posts

Back