RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Brunello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
Cru Select Brunello

I purchased this kit today. For some reason, I thought a grape pack was included. Would this kit benefit from adding raisins or a grape skin pack?

Last edited:
I have never done a kit but it is best to stick with the directions with the kit and not alter the wine. These are designed carefully and have a specific end result. If you are experienced with kits and wish to adlib go for it. Otherwise stick with the directions. P.S. Time values in these directions are guidelines. Use your hydrometer to be sure of a finished fermentation.

You may be thinking of the Grand Cru International Brunello that does come with a grapeskin pack. The Cru Select kit does not.

I started the same kit on 3/31. It appears that fermentation has stopped. I will be checking it tonight when I get home from work. If SG is at recommended level, I will rack it down. Such fun.

I have been concentratiing on using kits lately. I stick to directions, not enough confidence to play.

Would have been better if you had purchased the kit that comes with a grape pack.
However, IMO, the kit would benefit from a grape pack, if you understand how to use one.
George at Finevinewines.com sells the grape packs separately.

He sells a cab/sav grape pack and a syrah grape pack, I believe. I would go with the cab, since the brunello is a sangiovese variant and really nice super tuscans are a great blend of sangiovese and cab, among others.

If you have questions, contact George.

Thanks Robie, I missed that in his website. Will have to slow down and read more. Of course, if I did that, I would order so much that I would need a loan. I will definately check the packs. It does make wine better.

Thanks Robie, I missed that in his website. Will have to slow down and read more. Of course, if I did that, I would order so much that I would need a loan. I will definately check the packs. It does make wine better.

Good luck with your wine making. It can sure be a lot of fun, can't it?

I started the Grand Cru Brunello 3 weeks ago. Since this is my 6th kit, I tried a little experimenting, knowing full well I could ruin the results. At the beginning, I added 6 g of opti-red and 6 g of tanin vr supra. I took a big chance and used BM45 yeast (made a yeast starter using Go Ferm). Initial SG was 1.100. A day later I added 1 lb of currants (vitis vinefera variety). I followed a strict Fermaid K feeding schedule with stirring every day. This yeast was very foamy! My 9 gal fermenter was not even big enough. I actually had to rack it into 2 6 gal fermenters 4 days later. No H2S production occurred. I racked it to a single 6 gal carboy last week. SG was 0.997. SG yesterday was 0.994 (20 day mark). I plan on taking a SG today and tomorrow. I have been pleased with my results...no H2S, great mouthfeel, pleasant fruit aroma.

I do have a question. Even at 0.994 SG (temp is 66 F), I still have small bubbles coming up. Is is still fermenting or just CO2 coming out of solution? I haven' observed that on any of my previous kits this far into the fermentation. The smell is nice, so I know it isn't H2S. If the SG is stable tomorrow, should I rack and sulfite or wait a few more days? There is a lot of lees still on the bottom, and I am hence hesitant of leaving the wine on the lees for to much longer.

994 is a great ending SG. The 66 degree temp is helping to keep the CO2 in solution so remember you will need to warm it up to 72-74 degrees to properly de-gass and get the wine to clear. Rack it off the lees and stick a fork in it. Its done!

I started the Grand Cru Brunello 3 weeks ago. Since this is my 6th kit, I tried a little experimenting, knowing full well I could ruin the results. At the beginning, I added 6 g of opti-red and 6 g of tanin vr supra. I took a big chance and used BM45 yeast (made a yeast starter using Go Ferm). Initial SG was 1.100. A day later I added 1 lb of currants (vitis vinefera variety). I followed a strict Fermaid K feeding schedule with stirring every day. This yeast was very foamy! My 9 gal fermenter was not even big enough. I actually had to rack it into 2 6 gal fermenters 4 days later. No H2S production occurred. I racked it to a single 6 gal carboy last week. SG was 0.997. SG yesterday was 0.994 (20 day mark). I plan on taking a SG today and tomorrow. I have been pleased with my results...no H2S, great mouthfeel, pleasant fruit aroma.

I do have a question. Even at 0.994 SG (temp is 66 F), I still have small bubbles coming up. Is is still fermenting or just CO2 coming out of solution? I haven' observed that on any of my previous kits this far into the fermentation. The smell is nice, so I know it isn't H2S. If the SG is stable tomorrow, should I rack and sulfite or wait a few more days? There is a lot of lees still on the bottom, and I am hence hesitant of leaving the wine on the lees for to much longer.

You won't regret using the BM45 as it is a great yeast for sangiovese. Yes, it really is a foamer, isn't it? I used BM45 for a high end brunello kit and it has turned out really nice. It is a good thing you used Fermaid K, as that yeast works so hard it can get stuck from lack of nutrients. Most wine kits have nutrients enough for most yeast, just not enough for BM45.

There is some question as to the usefulness of Opti-red in a kit. It surely won't hurt anything.

Sometime after clearing, if you want a greater degree of mouth fill, add about 1.5 tsp of Tan Cor Grand Cru to the 6 gallon batch; that kit will likely need it, as did mine. Just add it at least 6 weeks before you do your last racking to bottle.

True dat....

Some say it is only for fresh/frozen grapes (works on the grape solids ???). Morewine (who sells it) says that's not true. Hard to say which is right without knowing more about what it actually does.

In the past, I have been known to use it on red kits, anyway.
There is also an Opti-white, but I haven't used it, yet.

Just not real sure who well it will work without any (or very little) skins in the must. Fore sure won't hurt it.

From the Scott website:

Opti-RED® is certified organic by OMRI and is a unique inactivated yeast derivative nutrient. It is the product of a specific refining process which results in a high level of polyphenol reactive cell wall polysaccharides. Opti-RED may be used either at the beginning or toward the end of red wine fermentations to obtain fuller bodied, more color stable, smooth palate wines. Lallemand has known that different yeast strains produce different levels and types of polysaccharides during their growth phase. Building on this experience, they developed Opti-RED from specific yeasts harvested at the end of their growth phase when polysaccharides are more reactive than those released during autolysis. Using Opti-RED in the must provides early polysaccharide availability for complexing with polyphenols as soon as they are re leased and diffused. This early complexing results in red wines with more intense color, smoothness and better tannin integration. Using Opti-RED in the latter part of alcoholic fermentation allows the winemaker to shape harsh polyphenols into smoother, more approach able tannins.

Great feedback...I appreciate the help. During racking I thought I detected a minute amount of H2S. Wine still tasted fine. I read another thread on this. I sulfited, splashed racked, and degassed. I plan on racking again tomorrow over some copper flashing if it is still there. Don't know how it formed. Again, it was barely perceptual...had to really think about it. I am thinking the wine may have stayed on the lees a little long, or I may have used a little too much Fermaid K. Thanks again!

I splashed racked my brunello over copper sheeting 3 times and stirred with copper pipe. No more H2S smell. I added 5 grams of k-meta at the initial racking. Should I add more ke-meta (maybe 1/4 tsp) to offset the aeration I did?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back