Glycerin in airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyportale

Reaction score
Hello,
Ive read members using glycerin in the there airlocks. I tried pouring some into my 3 piece airlock and it was so thick I said, "this can't be right". Any thoughts on using glycerin instead of water or vodka?

Thx,
Tony

I use a kmeta solution unless I'm going to stick them carboys in the stairwell to cold stabilize then I use vodka.. Glycerin is way to thick IMHO.

Pure glycerin is too thick, you can dilute it to thin it up some, that would not be bad for some long term storage or in a dry area as the glycerin would not evaporate as quickly as water or vodka.

Once the water evaporates out of the glycerin solution, you are back to having a too thick solution.

I guess the advantage of a glycerin solution would be when the atmospheric pressure goes up so high that the air lock solution gets pushed into your wine. This happens to me from time to time. The little bit of glycerin would do nothing but slightly improve mouth feel.

I bought a bottle of cheap rum. Put that in the airlock, seems to stay in there for a long time, don't worry about suck back. If it does, guess I just have to add a little more. Won't affect the wine. I have had to top off the airlocks once in a while, but most times it takes a long time before they have to be topped off. Arne.

If you use a sulfite solutiom in an airlock and put a drop of olive oil on top - would that not stop the air from evaporation and the sulfite as well ?

Just wondering

thanks steve
http://allinonewinepump.com/

That would stop evaporation, but the olive oil could be the first thing sucked back into the wine, when the atmospheric pressure goes up.

I read that in the old days of the Roman Empire, they would put wine in clay pots, then use olive oil as a seal to stop the wine from oxidizing. Sounds like even if the olive oil is sucked back into the wine, at least it won't mix in, but will stay on top so it can easily be removed.

That would stop evaporation, but the olive oil could be the first thing sucked back into the wine, when the atmospheric pressure goes up.

I read that in the old days of the Roman Empire, they would put wine in clay pots, then use olive oil as a seal to stop the wine from oxidizing. Sounds like even if the olive oil is sucked back into the wine, at least it won't mix in, but will stay on top so it can easily be removed.

how could it be the first thing sucked up when it is on top - Ok I did not explain that the only air locks that I typically use are the s-shaped design. I see your point with the other design ( 3 part )

steve

Take it from me, Robie. It is not easily removed. We used to "seal" our gallon jugs with an olive oil cap to keep air out. It did that, but you never could get the olive oil completely out of the wine. There would always be a number of oil globules floating on top of the wine in your glass. It did not spoil anything really (just about everything we ate had olive oil on it!) but it was not aesthetically pleasing.

Back