glass carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zalai

Reaction score
Today I found a crack on one of my glass carboy . Could anyone tell me how did this happened ? Will this crack grow like the one on my windshield ? Is it time ti get rid of it, before I have to clean up this wine from the floor ?
Thank you ,
:b

20141019_142820.jpg

I am not sure but I would be afraid that it would either leak or let air into my wine and ruin it.

I would not use it anymore -
did you have any extreme temperature changes ? - referring to adding water to it or anything like that.

Also is it possible is it a chinese carboy ? see link below
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/aware-chinese-carboys-36527/

Plain defective carboy from the factory ? How old is it ?

Thank you for the link ! It's very interesting .
My carboy is about 1.5 years old , and no extreme temperature changes .
Now I emptied this carboy and in the bottom it says "Made Italy " .
All of my carboys are from local home brew stores , they are all the same brand .
3x5 G ,4x6 G 1x3 G . Keep them all in the same room and only one is cracked .

IMG_20141019_213635.jpg

Zalai -
it is definitely a crack correct ?
Well discard it and some of us will use blankets or cardboard to go over them to help prevent them from hitting each other.

No way glass cracks like that. Its a scratch that may form a crack. Id trash it.

Kind of a funky way to have a scratch! If this were my carboy, here is what I would do. Gently, but thoroughly, wash the area with a soapy dishrag or sponge with a temperature of 70 to 75 degrees to prevent temperature shock. Rinse completely and dry. Allow to air dry. Now take another look. If it is a visible scratch, gravity rack the wine into another carboy. Certainly, DO NOT attach a carboy handle to lift.
Along that thought, the only reason I use a handle is to aid in washing or carrying an EMPTY carboy. Carry or move a full carboy using a Brew Hauler or like device with handles. Better yet, do a "net" search for "carboy covers", something that zips up tight to the neck, has two grab handles at the top, another grab handle at the bottom, and a slip resistant bottom. Now you can safely lift and move the full carboy, the carboy is somewhat protected from harmful contacts, and the ultraviolet rays are kept out during aging.

That first picture looks more like a scrape where the carboy was upside down on the edge of a sink while spraying water up into it. I put a washcloth on top of the wall between the two sink basins to rest the carboy shoulder on when I'm spraying water up into it.

Thank you for your replies ! After I emptied this carboy I got rid of it .:b

Back