Gifted Muscadine grapes and Figs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After moving around 60 pallets (200 hives) of bees to the fall squash fields today one of the farmers gifted me some muscadines and figs. There were not that many but it was to many to just eat them. It turned out to be a little over 9 lbs of muscadines and 7 lbs of figs, once cleaned up and gone through.
The best I can figure is that should give me around 1 gallon of wine give or take a bit for both fruits. I put them in the freezer for now because I am not prepared to make a new batch of anything atm.
I will be stopping by the wine making shop tomorrow, what should I pick up for the muscadines and the figs. So far this is what I have on hand
yeast nutrient
yeast energizer
pectic enzyme
acid blend
citric acid
yeast (cotes de blanc, 1118, and 1116)
2 gallon primary
plenty of 1 gallon jugs

I know I will need some bungs and airlocks but what about yeast? Which is best for the figs, I think I remember reading a post just today about RC-212 for the muscadines.

How long should the grapes stay on the skins?
How long should the figs be left in the primary with the must?
Should I save some figs for a f-pak?
Should I save some grapes for a f-pak?
Too many questions, probably because I am tired and don't feel like looking them up. I will do so later but if you can help now that would be great too.

Thanks gang

The figs require about 2.75tsps acid blend per gallon. I try for a PH of 3.3-3.4. The recipe I use for figs calls for 3.5#'s/gallon so you could make an f-pack with the extra amount or make a 2 gallon batch. As for the muscadines, I'd use the entire volume for the wine and not worry with the f-pack. That volume will give you a robust flavor. Don't add acid to the muscadines as they contain plenty enough.

I allow the wine to sit on the skins and then rack to the secondary when the S.G. reaches ~1.010.

I've not tried RC212 for figs but I'm sure it would work out fine. What I used was 1116 and 1122. All of these tend to enhance the fruit flavors.

Shoot for a S.G. of 1.080-1.085.

Thanks for getting back to me on this.
I will have to stop back by the store and pick up the 212 yeast for the grapes as I forgot it today. I already have the 1116 so I will start that one tonight, is there anything that I could add that would help give the figs something extra?

I dont know the type of muscadines that he gave me but they are the black ones. I know there are several black muscadines but is there anyway to tell which they are?

I would consider these a mid size grape, because I have see the larger varieties and these are only half that size if that.

With all the honey you have I would make a pyment with the Muscadines turning that into a 2 gallon batch. Pyment is a grape mead in case you didnt know that.

Sacalait,

I'm curious why you keep recommending do not add acid to scuppernong/muscadine wine.

My vines started to produce this year, darlene/late fry. I have a gallon of Darlene in the secondary. My initial TA was .35 I raised it to .60.

I used 8 lbs of Darlene and about 2qts of water.

Just making sure I'm not missing something.

Regards,
John

Muscadines are high in acid that is why you shouldn't have to add any acid. I know that much I think, however my guess as to why you had such a low acid is because you added water to them. I could be all wrong, but the pH of your water could have also altered the acid levels. I know my tap water has a pH of 7.8 which is rather hard water and does affect the pH readings I get from time to time. I try not to use it too often, but I beleive that when you are using grapes you shouldn't have to add water unless you are using a grape concentrate.

I thawed the figs and cut the few stems off that were still on. Cut them all in half put them im a strainer bag added about a half gallon of boiling water. I did add something I dont normally add being 1/16 tsp k-meta, I hope all that will be gone by the time it is all done. I will add petic enzyme in the morning and check the acid and SG. Tomorrow afternoon I will adjust to make the pH 3.4 or so and bring the SG up to 1.085.

Will be stopping by the store on the way home to pick up the 212 yeast and will prep the grapes once I get home.

Wade if I were to make this with honey would it still be the standard 3lbs of honey. I know now that it is 3lbs per gallon but since one gallon will be sweetened by the grapes do you think I will only need to add 3lbs for the extra gallon. OR should I do it by checking the SG and use enough to bring it to 1.090 on the two gallons?

PW, the grapes you described could be most any kind of black ones since there are many that match that description.

As for the figs, I'd just make sure you add enough acid. Can't give you much more to go on as far as what else to add. I tried a fig/muscadine once that was just OK but didn't rock my boat. If I were experimenting I think the addition of pomegranate juice would be interesting.

John, what PW said was correct however, Darlene muscadines aren't nearly as astringent as some other varieties

Latest posts

Back