Getting Ready for Grape Season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Placed my Cali order and will try field blending this year for the first time. The blend will be based on previous post ferment blends. First will be 3 lugs Sangiovese, 1 Nebbiolo, 1 Alicante. The second 4 Touriga and 1 Tempranillo. Also getting 5 lugs of Malbec. I never made it from grapes, just a juice bucket with some leftover verity of use skins. Also placed my ingredient order last Wednesday for everything except MLB.

Placed my Cali order and will try field blending this year for the first time. The blend will be based on previous post ferment blends. First will be 3 lugs Sangiovese, 1 Nebbiolo, 1 Alicante. The second 4 Touriga and 1 Tempranillo. Also getting 5 lugs of Malbec. I never made it from grapes, just a juice bucket with some leftover verity of use skins. Also placed my ingredient order last Wednesday for everything except MLB.

What is the goal for the Sangiovese? Chianti or Super Tuscan? Or something else?

Last edited:
The report from Consumer's Produce is that the Sangiovese from Lanza is very good to outstanding. We're thinking of using it this year. Looking for ideas of what to blend. And whether or not to field blend or ferment separately.

I have this hanging for reference, perhaps it would help. Plus as I stated this is the first time trying a field blend and I'm only doing it because I've had previous success post blending with these proportions.

Attachments

• Famous Wine Blends of the World.jpg
    Famous Wine Blends of the World.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 55
The report from Consumer's Produce is that the Sangiovese from Lanza is very good to outstanding. We're thinking of using it this year. Looking for ideas of what to blend. And whether or not to field blend or ferment separately.

Great plan. I made a pure Sangiovese last year that is quite promising. It's on the lighter side color wise(normal for Sangiovese), but beautiful fruit and acid. I was just in grape county yesterday-looks like a good crop, and other than a couple of hot weeks , the weather has been great. I don't know where Lanza gets grapes from, but I vaguely remember Suisuin Valley. If so, there really have not been fires to speak of there, and so smoke taint may not be a big deal this year.

One of the places I frequent had a bear go through the vineyard this past week. Ate only white grapes-likely because they are closer to ripe.

But good luck in 2021 everyone. We could use a nice harvest and some good times.

I am completely unprepared for grape season this year. Not sure what I'm going to do, if anything. Might be best for me to sit this year out.

You have another month before the grapes come in. Isn't that enough time to prepare? You have to get your order in by the end of the month though.

I have some good wines to bring this year, you'll be missing out.

You have another month before the grapes come in. Isn't that enough time to prepare? You have to get your order in by the end of the month though.

I have some good wines to bring this year, you'll be missing out.

fine…. I’ll work on it this weekend. 😬

I am completely unprepared for grape season this year. Not sure what I'm going to do, if anything. Might be best for me to sit this year out.

I actually had the same thought about a week and a half ago. My grape order is in, as is my order for yeast and all the other goodies. 😅 I need to get my hands on some bottles though. I need at least 5 cases - but really 10. Otherwise, I'll be buying more carboys. :rolleyes:

Great plan. I made a pure Sangiovese last year that is quite promising. It's on the lighter side color wise(normal for Sangiovese), but beautiful fruit and acid. I was just in grape county yesterday-looks like a good crop, and other than a couple of hot weeks , the weather has been great. I don't know where Lanza gets grapes from, but I vaguely remember Suisuin Valley. If so, there really have not been fires to speak of there, and so smoke taint may not be a big deal this year.

One of the places I frequent had a bear go through the vineyard this past week. Ate only white grapes-likely because they are closer to ripe.

But good luck in 2021 everyone. We could use a nice harvest and some good times.

Thank you. We're discussing it right now. Blending is the big question. There should be good Merlot and Cab Sauv. Although, the Cab is coming in at $109.00/36lbs.

I was thinking about crushing a box of Alicante separately to use for color if needed.

Just a heads up for anyone ordering supplies from MoreWine. I placed my order on Monday. Normally, it would ship the next day (sometimes the same day) and be here in a day or two. I didn't hear anything until last night - and that was only for them to tell me one of the yeasts I ordered was out of stock at their east coast warehouse so it would ship from the west coast. Nothing has shipped yet. Seems they are a little busy and not shipping as quickly as in the past. Plan ahead.

Just a heads up for anyone ordering supplies from MoreWine. I placed my order on Monday. Normally, it would ship the next day (sometimes the same day) and be here in a day or two. I didn't hear anything until last night - and that was only for them to tell me one of the yeasts I ordered was out of stock at their east coast warehouse so it would ship from the west coast. Nothing has shipped yet. Seems they are a little busy and not shipping as quickly as in the past. Plan ahead.

Mine was the same, I placed the order on a Wednesday and it wasn't picked until late Friday so it didn't ship until late Monday, and received it on Wednesday. I also had one yeast that wasn't in stock but got it Wednesday as well. Also Lallzyme EX-V wasn't available on the East so I didn't order it. Last year I found SCott Labs was $10 cheaper for the MLB so I'll order that later when the temps cool down.

A week ago, Lodi Wine Labs had pretty good supply. And the CH16 is still $19.99 same as last year. They also have plenty of EX-V on the shelf, I bought a 100gm bottle of it to share with some local friends. Obviously not as handy for you guys on the East Coast, but a very legit supplier with often surprisingly competitive prices. Good people too.

Both my East and West coast orders shipped today. Should be Ok.

Back