Getting Ready for Grape Season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what we call a brand new ratchet press!
And she is a beaut. :cool:

I did a full renovation and restoration of my press this year, and the lady looks great, but still not quite as good at this one. Some wrinkles simply can not be brushed away. Which is okay. She is an old lady, and age also has its own type of benefits.

I'm finding that the Xoakers I used in earlier batches (aka 4 years ago) have a really good flavor. I do like the spirals though, they don't seem to take as long as the oakers to get the oak in there...

Went down to give the Cab Franc a look (and a smell, and a taste). It is light in color. It's got a nice bright strawberry taste and nose. Lighter bodied, too. I'm not UNHAPPY with it. But, it's also not as dark or as full bodied as I'd hoped.

I'm going to rack the wine into a clean carboy and experiment a little bit. My thought is that I might add Petite Sirah, and maybe some Cab Sauv, to bump the color and body, and give it more complexity. As always, suggestions are welcome.

Went down to give the Cab Franc a look (and a smell, and a taste). It is light in color. It's got a nice bright strawberry taste and nose. Lighter bodied, too. I'm not UNHAPPY with it. But, it's also not as dark or as full bodied as I'd hoped.

I'm going to rack the wine into a clean carboy and experiment a little bit. My thought is that I might add Petite Sirah, and maybe some Cab Sauv, to bump the color and body, and give it more complexity. As always, suggestions are welcome.

I'm a big fan of adding PS to 'bulk up'.

Received this today. Juices in CT.

Below are tentative arrival dates for grapes and juices.​

South Africa:
  • Arrival Estimates: The Pinotage will be here around mid April
  • Grapes Available from South Africa: Pinotage (only) SOLD OUT
  • Juices Available from South Africa: Shiraz, Merlot, Pinotage, Cabernet Sauvignon, Semillon, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc, and Sauvignon Blanc.
  • Fresco Juices Available from South Africa: Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Pinotage.

Chile:
  • Arrival Estimates: The Chilean grapes and juices are waiting to harvest and should start arriving in mid-May. We will have more details soon.
  • Grapes Available from Chile: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Carmenere, Malbec, Merlot, Petite Verdot, Pinot Noir, and Syrah. (*all Chilean grapes can be processed into Frozen Must by special order only – please call to put in your Frozen Must order)
  • Juices Available from Chile: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Carmenere, Malbec, Merlot, Petite Verdot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, and Muscat.
  • Fresco Juices Available from Chile: Merlot, Malbec, Sauvignon Blanc, Carmenere, Viognier, Chardonnay, and Chardonnay/Semillon.

Australia:
  • Arrival Estimates: The Australian Fresco juices should start arriving in late April, early May.
  • Fresco Juices Available from Australia: Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Gewürztraminer, Merlot, Mourvedre, Orange Muscat, Petite Verdot, Riesling, and Shiraz.
Musto Wine Grape Company, LLC.
101 Reserve Road
Hartford, CT 06114
877-812-1137​

prjVWi9agcvHo6wWwSY0NoWHiaFTUW1GFE88HIUk5LrHN5aeEIX3D6pJtDlEPNI6Dvf_Ou5XHLexQ1ajT_5sVXHMGfcLsqoinYvkNDmXc8HzvBff2Y637Q=s0-d-e1-ft

I'm a big fan of adding PS to 'bulk up'.

The wine is a blend of about 7 gallons of Cab Franc, with 1+ gallons of Petite Sirah. It's been in the barrel since December and I've topped it up monthly with either PS or Cab Sauv. This will be the 5th batch through the barrel, so I'm thinking it's mostly neutral at this point. Planning to leave the wine in the barrel another couple months. My biggest dilemma will be what to put in the barrel once this blend comes out. Haven't tasted it since I blended them together in the barrel - not bad then. We'll give it a taste at the end of month and see where we are.

Latest posts

Back