Gettin' them little beggars off the stems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were having trouble finding the square grid type of cooling rack. We went to a restaurant supply store, they had an industrial strength one, and it was less than $6.00!

Jim

Hey Jim,

I see this is your first post, welcome to winemakingtalk. Nice to see you here

Welcome TwinMaples! Mud, never evn thought of that and I also could use some to make a new dirt screen to get the rocks out as I destroyed mine finally last year sifting all dirt from planting the Currants.

We were having trouble finding the square grid type of cooling rack. We went to a restaurant supply store, they had an industrial strength one, and it was less than $6.00!

Jim

Hey Jim, thanks for stopping in and Welcome. Pull up a chair and let us know what you're making. Please feel free to ask/answer questions anytime. Glad to have you on board.

Above I called it a screen but I actually used galvanized hardware cloth. The kind with 3/8" squares.
I thought of using hardware cloth, but thought there would be too many sharp points/edges that would puncture the berries.

Jim

Hey Jim, thanks for stopping in and Welcome. Pull up a chair and let us know what you're making. Please feel free to ask/answer questions anytime. Glad to have you on board.
Julie, Wade, and Dan, thanks for the hospitable welcome!

Right now, I have 2 carboys of elderberry, 2 carboys of elderberry mead, a peach/white grape, and a blueberry. The elderberry carboys are from last year. Had to make room for this year's harvest!!! :D

I thought of using hardware cloth, but thought there would be too many sharp points/edges that would puncture the berries.

Jim

Since I only did it with the hardware cloth I can't compare. But burst berries are no problem. You want them crushed when they're fermenting.

Back